Chapter 33 - a threatened lifestyle

"...pardon?"

'What in the fuck.'

"I am curious to know at what date you would be moving to the Ainsworth kingdom."

She was shocked, to say the least. Frozen in place, mind repeating the words spoken to her. Her eyes wandered to Jamison, whose eyes were widened slightly, staring right back at her. She turned her eyes to look at the capture targets before her. They all seemed shocked, not knowing what had happened. She saw the shock on her former brother's face, and the anger on the second prince and baron's daughter's own. Even the first prince looked unnerved, the second party in the force situation. There was one exception, of the first prince's attendant, who seemed almost amused by the situation.

At that moment, a new feeling coursed through her. Rage. How dare they. To keep a hidden engagement from the involved party- it was just cruel. And on top of that, they had to nerve to ask her when she was moving to their kingdom? To discredit her with such simple words? And attempt to simplify the achievements she had held so much pride in? To the point where she should just 'leave' with no issues behind? To say she was furious was a downplay, because she felt absolutely livid.

"Why, I won't be doing such a thing at all."

The chill fell throughout the hall. Her words, spoken with a neutral air, had a cold undertone. It felt threatening. The King spoke up.

"Whatever do you mean? This is an engagement planned since childhood.  You must stay in this kingdom for it to go through."

' "Must." How dare they."

Anastasia straightened her back.

"No, I will not do such a thing. The engagement planned was between Antoinette Rosenburg, first daughter of the Duke's manor and Noah Ainsworth, first prince of Ainsworth. Not, Anastasia d'Astelo. In no way, am I involved as a documented party."

The Queen let out a short laugh. A simple but cruel laugh.

"But, you are Antoinette Rosenburg, dear. At the very least, you were, were you not?"

'So this is how she'll try me. She thinks she can take me. Think again. I'm not who you think I am. I left her behind.'

"Pardon, but by my leave, I had legally adopted another name. And to begin with, you have committed a break of faith by not informing me about said engagement before my change of identity."

The hall was silent, everyone soaking in her words. Jamison stilled, keeping his neutral face. He had faith in Anastasia not to break and say disrespect, but he had every right to stay worried. He was already struggling to keep his on anger down, and the worry wasn't helping.

"On top of that, I am needed in Kou. I have a family. Two siblings. I have a company to run and people to lead. I am a Duchess, I cannot leave for an unplanned and non-consensual engagement that I had no prior knowledge of, though, it wouldn't matter since my name is not on any legal documents. Therefore, I will ask of you to please rid of the old documents."

The Queen was getting annoyed. Anastasia could tell, by the vein showing on her face and the hand clenching her throne. She wondered, for a moment, if this was the same Queen she had once seen as not a threat, but no an ally. Because in this moment, all she could see was a threat upon a throne. The Queen opened her mouth, a foul smirk playing at her mouth.

"Either way, you once assumed the identity of Antoinette Rosenburg, so it wouldn't be fair to just annul the engagement."

Anastasia felt a new kind of rage grow. This woman was disgusting. To the core. Anastasia couldn't believe the way she was playing dirty to keep her in this kingdom, forcing her to stay.

What did she do? She was being good. She was in another kingdom. Far away from these people. She didn't interact with them at all, and the banquet was her only interaction with them of mere hours. Was it the performance? Did they take too much attention?

Why did she accept the deal?

Why did she come here?

She should have rejected it.

She should have just stayed home.

She should have just stayed in Kou.

She lost control, opening her mouth to attack the Queen with her vocal weaponry. It was at that moment, her 'former' fiancé stepped forward.

Noah Ainsworth turned to face his own parents.

"Mother, father, let it just be for now. It isn't right to keep an engagement the parties are not content with. How about, we simply let it be. We have one year at the Royal Academy to see if our relationship should improve. Should it not better or she still feels to annul, then we simply annul the engagement."

Anastasia stilled. The odds were in her favour? Running by her will?

The Queen seemed to stay bristled.

"Fine. That would be content. I hope the two of you improve your relationship by the years time."

The rest of the talk simply breezed past her ears. Her lifestyle had almost been stolen from her, and just as quickly had been saved, by none other than one of the parties involved in the thievery. How should she feel?

                                —————

She didn't remember curtsying and saying her goodbyes. She didn't remember exiting the hall. She didn't remember being led away by Jamison, from the pink-haired figure who seemed to want to talk to her. She didn't remember getting into a carriage. Or getting home. She did, however, remember that her six years of hard work had been disrespected in a heartbeat. And she felt utterly crushed inside.

———————————————————————

Ik we hate it but sometimes we NEED character development guys the plot has to move like bakugou and his character development😔✌🏽It don't mean they'll be completely good or completely bad but that's speculation for the futureeeee the song decision also went from day6 to nu'est to ikon and finally mino!

I was going to update a bit earlier but my grandma was feeling unwell so we went to visit her. Her blood pressure was quite high and she was feeling dizzy- a nurse is coming round to check on her tomorrow and I guess I'm just worried haha

Thank you for reading!

I've temporary changed my name and pfp because school people are looking for my account oh dear :')