⇢ CHAPTER 5

season 4 episode 8

After escorting the patient with a pencil up his eye with Izzie and Lexie, Holly looked at the other side of the glass to where Dylan, their patient, laid

"I never knew what to say to them." Lexie admitted, "In high school-- kids like him-- they were always so separate from the rest of us, you know, alone." She shook her head, "It wasn't like that for me. I...I was prom queen and class valedictorian."

Holly snorted as Izzie remarked, "Yeah, I wouldn't broadcast that."

"I went to prom with friends but one of them got claustrophobic so we went to my dad's farm." Holly smiled as she reminisced, "It was the best."

"I had a great group of friends, you know?" Lexie added.

Holly nodded, remembering her friends from high school that wished her luck before going to college, as Izzie shook her head, "Not really."

"Hey." Derek greeted, walking into the room, "Well, let's see what we got here." He looked at the scans before pointing at the monitor, "Oh, you see that, Dr. Stevens?"

"Yeah." Izzie sighed, "Looks like the pencil lifted up one of the branches of the A.C.A."

Holly pointed at the monitor, "Is that a bleed?"

"Mm-hmm." Derek confirmed, "It is. It's a little one." He inhaled lightly, "We need to get that pencil out of there before it gets any bigger."

Izzie grabbed the phone, "I'll book an O.R."

"Hey," Holly smiled, walking up to Lexie as they waited for the elevator, "I heard your dad's here...?"

"Yeah." Lexie breathed out, cringing lightly enough for Holly not to realize since her back was towards her as she pressed the button. The two girls looked up as the elevator dinged. Holly walked inside while Lexie was hesitant, seeing Alex Karev leaning at the back of the elevator. Earlier today, Alex chose to inform Meredith about their father's appearance at the hospital and not her-- especially after she told Alex to not tell Meredith about their father's alcohol abuse. Lexie sighed heavily as she walked inside, choosing to stand at the front of the elevator while Holly and Alex leaned at the back. 

"I don't do secrets." Alex spoke, seemingly ignoring Holly's presence as his eyes were glued on Lexie's back, "I don't do any of that 15-year-old, 'Ooh, I'm gonna tell you, but don't tell anyone else.'"

Holly frowned her eyebrows as Lexie turned around, "We're not talking about who made out with who at the Halloween dance. This was a private family issue. So," Lexie's eyes glanced to Holly before staring at Alex, "can we please not talk about it?" 

Alex paused as Holly awkwardly shifted, looking up to see what floor they were in as Alex scoffed, "Your dad's a drunk. I had to start cleaning up my dad when I was seven. That's when I turned into the grown-up of the family. So you got to wait till you were twenty-four." The elevator doors opened and Alex nodded his head at Lexie as he left, "Good for you."

The elevator doors closed and Holly's eyes met Lexie's, "Lex--"

"Don't." Lexie chuckled, feeling embarrassed at the situation as she looked down, "Just-- don't."

Holly nodded, her eyes meeting the floors, "Okay."

✧✧✧

short chapter, but it's double update time!