twenty ✰

"Are you okay?" Rafe mumbled into my hair, he was holding me in his arms as we tamed our breathing, still slightly flustered from the previous moments we had shared as we regained our composure.

I nodded slightly, humming in response as I smiled, it was perfect.

"Marls?" A voice suddenly called, sending the two of us into a frenzy as we threw our clothes back on, scrambling to look presentable as the voice neared.

My heart dropped when I saw the curious blond haired boy standing in front of us, his eyes snapped to Rafe who was buttoning his pants, his eyes widening when he put two and two together.

"So Topper was telling the truth?" He laughed bitterly, causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion.

"What JJ, no," I rushed, sliding off the bed of the truck to get the boy to leave, in fear of the conversation ending in flying fists.

"Don't fucking touch me Marls, not after what you did with him," He shook his head, his eyes brimming with fresh tears as he stepped away from me. My heart almost broke at the sight.

Sure I didn't see JJ as anything more than a friend but that didn't mean that I didn't love him, he was my best friend, the one person who was always there for me and now he couldn't even meet my eyes.

"Hey dude, back off," Rafe warned, standing behind me as his hand fell on my lower back in some attempt to comfort me.

JJ took note of the small action, a malicious scoff leaving his lips as he shook his head.

"JJ let's just talk about this tomorrow, I promise I'll explain everything ple-,"

"No marls, I'm done, I'm done being in love with you when you want to fuck around with Rafe instead, done," He finished out of breath as he wiped his angry tears away from his cheeks.

My eyebrows furrowed at his words, my head shaking almost immediately at his words. "You don't love me JJ, we're best friends, you don't okay? You're not in love with me," I rushed, my voice cracking as I wiped the tears that had slipped from my own eyes.

"Dude that's not fair," Rafe interrupted, his eyes furrowing at the whole mess that the other blond boy had just created.

"Yeah well lifes not fair," JJ spat back, walking forward as I placed my hand on his chest in order to stop him from coming any closer. "Dude," his voice was low as he tested Rafes limits, waiting for him to snap as if it would prove something.

"JJ stop," my voice came out weaker than intended as I tried pushing him away, his body not budging as he glared up at Rafe.

Rafe moved from behind me, shoving JJ out of the way as he became fed up with the whole situation "Don't touch her man," he spat back at him, pushing me behind him as if he didn't want me to see what was about to happen.

"Rafe no," I warned, trying to get out from behind him, it was no use, his arm keeping me in place as he hovered over the shorter blond boy.

JJ had a smirk pulling at the edge of his lips, knowing he finally got through to the boy as he was ready to face the wrath he had coming his way, his fists clenching as he waited for Rafe to make the first move.

"I said fucking stop," I shouted, fed up as the boys heads whipped towards me, frowns etching their expressions as I shook my head in disappointment.

"All you guys do is fight and fight and fight and I'm fed up, JJ I love you, you're my best friend and always will be but i'm not in love with you and you're not in love with me, and Rafe I-"  I paused, my eyes watching as a small smile appeared on his lips, waiting for what I had to say "I really really like you, more than a friend, and I just don't understand why we can't for one time in our lives accept and embrace our differences," I finished, an awkward smile appearing on my face as Rafe cleared his throat.

"Yeah well this is different," JJ shook his head, walking in the opposite direction as he left me dumbfounded, watching as my childhood best friend left, left behind all of the memories and moments we had shared.

He was throwing it all away.

______________

a/n

lol hi

bye