- twenty-five : flight

[ third person ]

⋆⋆⋆

After the training camp came to an end, Makoto returned home to find the Takahano boys waiting for her with their luggage. She had no time to do anything else, simply beginning to pack her things and get ready to leave with her childhood friends.

"Mom?" Makoto called out as she entered her mother's room, spotting the woman sitting at the edge of her bed with tissues to her face. Noticing the tears that welled up in her mother's eyes, Makoto quickly rushed over. "Mama, what's wrong?"

Her mother chuckled weakly, reaching up to caress her daughter's cheek. "Honey, I'm just..gonna miss you so much."

Makoto felt her heart tear to pieces as her mother wrapped her in a hug, embracing her daughter gently.

"You'll come visit us, right?" Her mother asked softly, kissing her daughter's cheek.

Makoto nodded, "Of course. I'll be running to the airports as soon as I can come back."

Her mother smiled gently, embracing her daughter once more. "I love you, Makoto."

"I love you too, Mama."

[ t i m e   s k i p ]

Makoto stood at the airport entrance with her luggage at her side. The Takahano boys were in the cafe within the airport, busying themselves with some coffee and snacks while they waited for the plane.

Makoto waited outside, hoping the Karasuno boys would show up like they promised. I have to leave soon. She thought worriedly as she glanced around for the males.

"Makoto!" The familiar shout made her turn in that direction, grinning happily at the twelve boys who made their way over to her.

Makoto was engulfed in a hug by Tanaka, Nishinoya and Hinata who were closest, followed by Suga and a few others.

"I thought you guys wouldn't come. I got scared." Makoto admitted sheepishly as she frowned slightly, stepping away from the males.

"That's stupid. We said we'd come, right?" Kageyama said as he smacked her lightly, scowling at the female who had the nerve to doubt their appearance.

"Yeah, sorry." Makoto said with a light-hearted chuckle that made everyone feel more at ease. "You guys have the Spring Tourney soon, yeah?"

The team nodded, recalling how the Spring Tournament was nearing. It saddened them to think that Makoto wouldn't be up in the stands supporting them anymore. Her absence would affect the team more than they thought.

"I'm counting on you guys this time. I know you guys are strong enough to win against Seijoh now." Makoto said with a confident smile. Holding out a fist to the team, she chuckled. "Karasuno fight-o."

"Makoto!!" She was tackled in a hug by multiple people who were touched by her simple action. After a small crying session, the team agreed to say their goodbyes to the Takahano boys.

"Hold it, midget." Tsukishima said as he caught her by the collar, stopping her from leaving just yet. He waited for a moment, making sure the rest of the team was out of earshot before he spoke.

He shuffled awkwardly, rummaging through his pocket for something. "Uh, here."

Makoto held out her hand, staring at the object he dropped into her hand. Her eyes slightly widened when she saw a necklace with the letter K on it.

"Is this your initial?" Makoto asked, dumbfounded by the fact that he'd give her a necklace with a K on it. Jokingly, Makoto questioned, "Is this a confession?"

"Maybe."

Makoto' head snapped upwards in surprise. She was greeted by a serious expression that made her heart race for a mere moment. Once she saw the small smirk that grew on his face, she felt a small pout grace her lips.

"Kidding." He muttered bluntly, internally loathing himself for backing out and playing it off as a joke. "It's a gift from all of us. K for Karasuno."

"Put it on for me?" Makoto asked as she held out the necklace to him with a small smile. He took it, walking around the female to clasp the necklace in place. She suppressed a shiver when she felt his fingers gently graze her nape.

"Alright." Tsukishima said as she turned around, facing the male who glanced down at the necklace. "Not bad."

"Thank you." Makoto said softly as she admired the necklace. "I love it."

There was a short silence before Kichiro interrupted it by shouting that they'd have to leave soon.

"Hey, Kei," Makoto said as she grinned up at him. He nodded, letting her know that he was listening. "I'm counting on you the most."

He rose an eyebrow, confused as to what she meant by that. "Huh?"

"You probably think you can't block for shit. I'll bet you still think you can't block a guy bigger than you, like Ushijima." Makoto said, making the blond slightly raise his eyebrows in surprise. He didn't know Makoto knew of his internal concerns since he never mentioned them. "But I seriously believe in you. You're a literal genius, alright! I'll be watching you guys on the TV, so,"

Makoto gently tapped his chest with a closed fist, beaming confidently at him. "Make me proud, alright?"

Tsukishima opened his mouth, wanting to say something.

"Makoto, we gotta go." Kichiro said as he appeared beside them, pointing at the time impatiently.

"Right." Makoto hrabbed her luggage, walking over to Kichiro with a slight smile.

"I'll try." Tsukishima called out half-heartedly, making Makoto turn back to him with a jubilant smile.

"See ya, Kei!" With that, Makoto walked away with Kichiro and left the blond standing there with a small frown.

A vast part of him was sad that she was leaving, but the overwhelming feeling of worry overtook him as she walked away with Kichiro at her side.

He just wished he would have said what was on his mind before she had to leave.

Makoto settled into her seat on the plane and frowned. As the plane began to move, her frown only deepened when the view of Miyagi began to grow more and more distant.

"It'll be alright, Makoto." Kichiro reassured, smiling softly. "Now, we can play volleyball together again."

Makoto's frown didn't change despite hearing those words. It doesn't really make me feel any better.

[ a/n : my baby mako-chan is gone now (〒︿〒) it took me a few days to write this since my braincells left me but we did it (^u^) ]