CHAPTER 24

The day Emma had been dreading had finally arrived. Taylor had taken over her apartment with Linda's help. They'd been determined to transform Emma into a moderate looking swan. Lucy had come past just as the radio hosts arrived and she had yet to get over the shock of Emma's plans for the evening.

"I can't believe you're going to Quick Date," said Lucy, still looking baffled by the news.

Emma rolled her eyes. "How has everyone heard of this event except for me?"

"You don't go out enough in the real world," answered Lucy.

Emma gasped. "Lucy!" she chastised.

Her best friend simply shrugged. "It's true Em. Why do you think I'm supporting this ridiculous game? You need to live a bit more and finally move on from Eamon."

Emma pouted. "I thought you liked him."

"Oh, I do. He's easy on the eyes and a perfect gentleman. His family has wealth and class. He treats women well."

"But..."

"But," Lucy said loudly. "I don't believe that's the right type of man for you. You need someone who excites you. I'm not sure Eamon does that for you."

Emma frowned and mulled over her words. She glanced ashamedly at Lucy "Do you think I'm boring?"

Lucy laughed. "Oh, you know you are anything but boring. I just meant that you need someone on your level." Lucy moved off the bed and waddled towards Emma. She placed a swollen hand on her shoulder and said, "I'm saying Eamon is too boring for you."

Emma shook her head. "Larissa is more exciting than me. Why is she with him?"

Taylor, Linda, and Lucy rolled their eyes. "Have you watched their relationship?" Lucy asked.

Emma scoffed and said, "it's all I do."

"No," Lucy shook her head. "I mean really watch, not just ogle Eamon." Emma shook her head and Lucy sighed. "Figures. If you paid attention to them, you'd see the cracks. Eamon has a reputation to uphold and Larissa helps. As outdated as it sounds, Eamon needs a trophy wife. Now, you are beautiful Emma, don't think differently."

"Just not Larissa beautiful," she finished with a frown.

Lucy smacked her on the shoulder. "That's not what I mean. Larissa is stunning and she has qualities some men want. So do you. What Larissa has that you don't, is a submissive personality."

Emma's brows seemed to furrow deeper. "So she's a loyal pet who rolls over for him?" She snorted at the idea. If anything, Emma was all that for Larissa. She never could speak her mind. Larissa controlled a room and she definitely knew how to control their parents. Submissive just didn't fit. "My sister isn't submissive. She loves being in control."

"It's different with you," answered Lucy. She moved away from Emma and sat back down on her thick mattress. "Her relationship with you is all about jealousy. She's got to feel better than you and having Eamon helps. She'll be anything he needs her to be, just as long as she has him and not you. What Eamon needs it to control what his partner to avoid embarrassment. He knows you aren't like that."

"I could be," she mumbled.

This time, Taylor and Linda smacked her shoulders. "You don't." admonished Linda. "Trust me, you don't want to be in a relationship where you're controlled. You lose your identity and no amount of money makes it better."

"You aren't like that. It's what makes you a better person." whispered Lucy. "You won't sit back and allow a man to dictate your life just for money."

Emma slumped in her seat. Ahead of her was a vanity mirror. Emma stared critically at her reflection. She couldn't stop her mind from making comparisons. Her face was rounder than Larissa's and darker. Emma's hair was wilder versus her sisters' straighter and polished look. Emma had tiny bumps of acne hidden across her hairline but Larissa, was flawless. They were complete opposites.