Chapter 6

Chapter 6

                “So do you remember when we were talking about the homecoming dance that’s coming up?” Cassandra asked as we spoke through the phone a few days later.

                I laid on my bed, staring at my fuzzy pink socks that had little green dinosaurs on them. “Yeah.” I muttered, plucking off a loose strand of thread that was on my socks. “What about it?”

                “Well, all the girls are all getting dressed and ready at my place. I was wondering if you would maybe want to come with us.” Cassandra said, her voice kind of shaky on the other line.

                I knew exactly why Cassandra was nervous about asking me, because if she was worried, it meant that Katie and the other girls who were harassing me the other day were going to be there. I let out an exaggerated breath, as I ran a hand through my hair that I just washed a few hours ago. I lightly touched the tips of my hair, which were silky smooth. “I don’t know, Cass.” I mumbled.

                “I promise you that I’ll make all of the girls be nice to you.” Cassandra pleaded.

                “Dances aren’t really my thing, anyways.” I tried to make up every excuse possible to avoid going to that damn homecoming dance. I knew that Max was going to go, since he was the wide receiver on the football team. He was probably going to make me come, as well.

                “Just think about it, okay?” Cassandra said.

                “Alright,” I said, as I heard my mother’s voice calling me from the kitchen, “I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

                As I hung up the phone, I heard my mother shouting at me again. Groaning, I sprinted out of my room, skipping down the stairs to where she was. I noticed she was setting up the dinner table, but it wasn’t for just the two of us. I frowned when I saw that she had four plates set out, and she wasn’t using our regular plates, either. She was using our fine China plates, the ones she only ever used when someone was coming over to visit.

                “Mom, who’s coming over?” I asked.

                My mother went back into the kitchen to stir the pasta she was making. “The Rosenfeld’s are coming over for dinner in half an hour.”

                My eyes widened in horror, as my jaw dropped. “What?” I stuttered. “The Rosenfeld’s?”

               My mother nodded, as she turned around to give me a glance. She frowned once she eyed my attire, up and down. “Riley, is that what you’re wearing?” she asked. “Go put on something nice!”

                I stared down at my grey sweatpants and my fuzzy dinosaur socks. “What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” I muttered.

                My mother rolled her eyes, ignoring my comment. She continued to stir the pasta, as she grilled some chicken on the side. “Just go put on something more appealing.” She paused, staring at the time on the clock. “You have fifteen minutes, hon.”

                I shot her a glare, but she wasn’t looking, because she was too busy making the dinner. I groaned, as I headed up the stairs to go change. I stood in front of my dresser, staring at a bunch of clothes, but having absolutely no idea what to wear. My heart began to pulse quickly when I heard the doorbell ring, yet I was still in my sweatpants, deciding on what to wear.