The Newest Recruit ☆ Carrots

Author: jeansandshoes

Reviewer: __Carrots__

Chapters Reviewed: Twenty Four (including the last author's note)

_______________

o First Impressions:

Blurb wise:

There's so much you could do in your blurb.

Blurbs written by professional authors are usually short and precise. Yet, they ensue curiosity in the readers.

Your blurb does it, yes. It interests readers but at the same time it doesn't introduce what your book is actually about. Of course, I'm not telling you to summarize your story in your blurb. But there's so much happening inside your book, and just reading the blurb, I could never have guessed that your book was so happening and eventful.

"(Y/n), a young woman, plays fire and can turn herself invisible. Working in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s elite force known as the Jackals, she is presented with an opportunity. The Avengers are going to gain a new member and every S.H.I.E.L.D. personal can apply. "

First, I'd like to mention the spelling mistake that you have in your blurb itself.

It's 'personnel' and not 'personal'. Yes. Change it.

After that, when I first read your blurb I imagined a main character who's main conflict and challenge in the book would be to become an Avenger. To pass certain tests; physical as well as mental. And to face a lot of discouragement from her colleagues, to face nepotism and the end of it all, train intensely and emerge as a qualified and potential Avenger.

But I am informed in the Second chapter itself that our protagonist has already been recruited as an Avenger and is packing her bags to move to Stark Tower. All my presumptions based on the blurb turned out to be merely that; just presumptions.

And honestly, I was disappointed . Not with the story, but with the blurb. Such an interesting story with such a contradictory blurb.

Our protagonist is a former HYDRA weapon, she thinks she has certain type of powers when in-fact , she has a complete different skill set of powers. Her memories have been tampered with, she has no idea who she is. She has so much at stake to prove her loyalty. A former HYDRA weapon; now an Avenger. There is so much intensity and suspense in your book, yet all I get from the blurb is; a cadet with a chance to be an avenger.

Yes, there is so so much potential in what your blurb could be. And so much more potential in what a better and revised blurb could do to increase your readers. Yes, work on your blurb.

Cover wise:

No.

I'm sorry, jeansandshoes. But your cover is just not working for me. The background is good. It gives an insight of the location where the HYDRA base is; an abandoned and unacknowledged area as you described in the book. But other than that, nothing adds up.

The font especially. The font is not clear at all. I had no idea what the cover said, not until I strained my eyes and brought the screen/ monitor closer to my eyes. Not an eye catching over.

And the girl that you added to the background picture, it looks like she's holding a file and a rod. Or perhaps a laptop and a baton. None of the above guesses are accurate to our MC's character. She'd rather be holding two guns in her hands, as you often mentioned in your book. And man! What is she wearing? Is that a bikini? Is that anything at all? I'm sorry, but I need to know. But it's such an unclear picture I have no idea what to make of it.