Chapter 9: Ashes to Ashes

It felt like my world changed course

It felt like my world changed course. I was a bobbing ship somewhere in the sea and without me touching the wheel my sails changed direction. I stopped facing clear sky and calm waters in exchange for clouds and waves. For once, I drifted.

An eerie sensation considering that I did fine in class, kept up with meals, and hadn't pulled my hair from my scalp yet. Odd, that I could let go and not sink.

And I still had time to grip the steers, but the desire to explore anew gripped me harder. I think it was because when I tried to control, things were still out of my hands.

Ahead of me, students stumbled to the side as Clara shoved through them to snatch my hand. "There is something you need to see!"

Without my answer she dragged me along, weaving me through the spread of blazers, ties, and reactions to bring me to the next hall. The most surprising thing was warmth. Spring began to heat at last, a slow gradual burn that streaked our faces. It probably wasn't what she wanted to show me, but the thought of the creature that could barely feel sun on his face came anyway.

She poked her head from behind the pillar, jerking back with a flush in her cheeks.

I didn't dare peek. "Is it a secret or something?"

"Not anymore," she muttered, rolling over me to switch places and put me at the edge. Her damp hand still held mine, squeezing as I freed half of my face from cover to find Miles standing and talking with his hands to Helena, who giggled so hard she risked toppling over the balcony ledge she so elegantly perched upon.

I frowned, a mixture of things compromising my hidden position. First, he said he planned to make a move but this felt so soon. Second, I appreciated that someone found my brother somewhat funny. Third, why didn't he tell me? Clara yanked me back to the pillar's base, her face scrunched in glee but no squeal to match.

"They are so cute together, can you believe?" By the curl in my lip and oncoming grimace, Clara tried again. "You should be happy for him! He's growing up!"

"That's kind of the big deal!" I whispered. "Who is Helena anyway?"

She rubbed my arms, torn between consoling and celebrating. "You don't interact with her much but she's really nice. Her family is from California, her favorite subject is pre-eternal biology, and she has the dream of becoming a nurse to help humans that survive immortal attacks."

"Are you selling her to me? Is this a pageant?"

"No, Mel, it's what you learn about someone when you talk to them. You know, learn the basics and all?"

I stuck out my tongue, gently pushing her hands off. "Okay, so she's nice but is she his beloved?"

Clara scowled. "No one knows until they know. Let the boy have a girlfriend!"

"Doesn't look like I have much of a choice!" My hands flew up before I could stop them, Clara shoving them back down before we both became too wide for the pillar. "He's only had two girlfriends in the past. Both of them human. Is he ready for this?"