ii. a game of cards

May 12, 1511

"What?" I asked, perplexed.

The question echoed in my head, his posh voice ricocheting in my mind. Could I really be the queen of England? Did I even want to be the queen?

No. I couldn't and didn't even want to. It was just a silly, irrational idea that he was putting in my head. I'd only been in court for a matter of minutes, and my mind was already being plagued by outlandish ideas and false claims.

"Would you like to be the next queen of England?" he repeated.

"I'm not sure I understand," I said, utterly confused, "You want me to be the queen? But... you just met me! How can you be so sure?"

Henry thought for a moment, probably carefully crafting an answer he thought I'd want to hear. Little did he know, I was only here because it pleased my father. I had no intentions of getting married, let alone becoming the queen.

"I'm a good judge of character," Henry answered. "And you're young, beautiful, and reputable."

I scoffed at him. "Young, beautiful and reputable? Oh, I'm flattered," I said sarcastically, "But, in all seriousness, my father is set on marrying me and Elizabeth off to rich, noble men, so he has probably over exaggerated my more positive qualities."

"Your father?" Henry asked. He looked confused.

"You mean you haven't been corresponding with my father?"

"The only time I contacted your father was when the invitation to court was sent."

"Oh." How stupid of me to make assumptions and jump to conclusions so quickly. Surely I knew better than that.

Then how could he have known so much about my sister and I? The question burned like a fire that I couldn't ignore. There was no way the king of England randomly stumbled upon my family.

"Then how did you-" I started

Henry cut me off before I could finish my question, "Your cousin," he said, as if it were obvious.

"Chloe?" I asked, shocked and appalled. I didn't always get along with my sisters, but Chloe and I were best friends when we were younger. It had been many years since I'd contacted Chloe. I couldn't believe she was at court!

"Yes," Henry confirmed, "Lady Chloe Redd."

"Do you know where she is? It's been ages since I've seen her! I miss her terribly," I said.

"Unfortunately, I don't," Henry said, "But you could check your chambers, and Elizabeth's. She seems quite pleased that you are here."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," I said. I curtsied quickly and, just as I was walking out the door, added, "And I will consider your offer."

Walking to my sister's chambers proved much harder than I anticipated. The castle seemed eerily quiet, and it felt as though I was walking in circles. After ages of pointless wandering, I heard Elizabeth's voice. There was another voice, a more feminine and dainty voice than Elizabeth's.

Chloe's voice.

I barged into the room, ignoring every formality that should have occurred. Chloe and Elizabeth were chatting politely, clearly happy to see each other.

For a moment, I didn't recognize Chloe. The stout girl with frizzy blonde hair and thick eyebrows was not the girl standing before me. This girl was beautiful and radiated a sense of elegance and maturity. She seemed, and looked, like a whole new person. Her hair and eyebrows were more tame, and she'd grown into a petite, lovely lady. She was the epitome of beauty, and for a moment, I was jealous.