Ch.2 Angel

Chapter 2

Maya watched the couple dance in the rain like a pair going around and around in a snow globe. Her ear filled with their laughter as she took a step forward. Her eyelashes heavied with water droplets and one rebellious drop slipped into her eyes.

Maya blinked in irritation. She opened her eyes only to find herself back in her room.

"No, no, no," she said as she looked around. Her eyes landed on the clock beside her bed.

Thirty minutes. She had been gone for thirty minutes. But it had all felt like just a few short moments.

Desperately, Maya grabbed the book off her bed and recited the spell once more. She needed to know what happened to Nick. She needed to know more about him. Where would she find him?

With trembling hands, Maya chanted the words on the page. She spoke them with each breath as if they were the only words she knew. Until Maya felt the little sharp poke on her back, she did not stop. Maya's heart leaped up into the air as she blinked and transported.

Instead of the slippery rain and booming thunder, Maya was greeted by warm air and the scent of roses. She opened her eyes and found herself standing in the middle of a dimly lit room. She looked around and found a girl, dressed in a lavish red long shirt and a matching top laying on the bed. She was surrounded by trays of gold jewelry, flowers, sweets, and beautiful garments. Maya carefully took a step forward.

"Excuse me," she called out in a small voice.

The girl did not move from the bed.

"Hello!" Maya tried again. "Can you hear me?"

Still no response.

Maya looked around the room at the many many many trays of treasure. The small room was carpeted with silk rugs and colorful pillows. The only light came from the large fireplace. The bed on which the girl laid upon was draped in long white curtains. Maya walked over and peaked through the curtains.

An unfamiliar feeling ran down Maya's back as she locked eyes with the girl. It was strange to have those brown eyes stare at her without seeing her. Maya swallowed her nerves and sat beside the girl on the plush bed.

"You're me," Maya whispered as her eyes ran over the girl's waist long wavy black hair. "You've changed."

The girl on the bed continued to stare at the ceiling. Her long fingers ran through her hair as she daydreamed and smiled. A raging snow storm blew through the valleys outside as the wind howled. Maya looked over her shoulder to the window. Her eyes spotted nothing but tall snow covered mountains.

"Where the heck am I?" She wondered aloud as she got off the bed and walked around the room. She was about to attempt going outside and exploring the rest of the house when suddenly there was a light tap on the window. Maya gasped just as the girl sat up on the bed.

With excitement, she ran from the bed and threw her window open. The bells and her many jewelries jingled as she moved across the floor past Maya. The wild wind blew the snow into the room as a pair of hands gripped the railing.

"A little help, my darling?" A voice asked over the wind.

The older Maya laughed as she took the hand at the window and pulled a man inside. Maya frowned as the figure dusted off the snow in his black hair and laughed softly.

"You're not Nick," she frowned.

"You will be caught," the old Maya said as she ran into the man's arms.

"And what will they do?" The man asked.

Maya took a few steps forward as she watched herself melt against the man's body. She searched the man's face before a gasp escaped her lips.