two

Leah Presley

The loud ringing of music echoed through my ears, the darkness surrounding me with lights scattering the walls. I could feel the music vibrating through my chest and I couldn't help the smile creep upon my lips at the feeling of being out and about again. The feeling of being in a bar, surrounded by good music and fun people, was a feeling that made me feel so alive. 

Jude's hand tugged on mine as Skylar followed after us. The smile on Jude's lips and his excitement of being out again made me happy to see him so happy. My eyes trailed to the stage that had band equipment sat on it, and I figured it was Jude's friend's band that was soon going to play. I felt giddy at the idea of hearing a live band again and I had a feeling it was going to be such a good night. 

The atmosphere in the bar had sweaty bodies and loud voices echoing through the walls as people scurried by and danced on the floor. Once I have enough alcohol in my system, I know Skylar and I would be following those same footsteps and would find ourselves dancing our way through the night. 

Jude had halted to a stop as I peered over his shoulder, noticing the large group of people he called his "friends" motioning for him to come over by waving their hands. I sighed under my breath, already feeling the annoyance drip through me. He turned his head to look at me, his lips upturned in a small pout, silently begging me to let him go see his friends.

"It'll only be for a little bit, I haven't seen them since last week," He pleaded with his eyes, his voice in a begging tone as I nodded solemnly, understanding that even if I disagreed, he would still go and hang out with them. Skylar had rolled her eyes at him, knowing this was the usual whenever we went out.

"It's fine, I was expecting that to happen anyways," I muttered in annoyance, my eyes falling to the floor to avoid his eye contact. His index finger lifted up my chin as he pressed his lips quickly to mine in a peck, hoping a kiss would fix my stubborn mood. 

"I'm sorry, I'll find you, I promise," He promised me with a small smile as I nodded slowly, watching him disappear in the crowd of people to reach his friends. I huffed a deep breath as I felt Skylar lean into me rubbing my shoulders with her soft hand in comfort.

"Fuck this, let's get drinks," She yelled over the music, pulling my body towards her as she dragged me to the bar. I felt the familiar rush of adrenaline go through me at the idea of having alcohol consume me. I needed this, more than ever. 

"Can we get 6 shots please?" Skylar ordered towards the bartender as he nodded at her, pouring the liquor. I looked at her with wide eyes with my mouth agape in shock. Skylar laughed loudly, shrugging her shoulders at me. "Got to start the night off strong, right?" I rolled my eyes but quickly laughed along with her, knowing my tolerance wasn't going to be able to handle the three shots all at once, but that was the fun that came with it. 

The bartender slid the shot glasses towards us, my eyes boggling at them, feeling the nervous butterflies erupt in my stomach, but I quickly grabbed one, throwing it back. I felt the alcohol burn the back of my throat as I held back the ick of tasting it. Skylar hissed at the taste of the burn in her mouth. We glanced at one another, smirking at each other, knowing this was just the beginning.

We immediately threw back the rest of the shots, our throats on fire from the familiar burn. My body felt like it was ignited with fire from the rush and I surely didn't want to stop here. The buzz was beginning to start and I surely wanted to keep going till my lips felt numb. 

"That was... insane," Skylar laughed loudly, her eyes pinching shut as her head fell back. I chuckled along with her, the loud music overpowering our loud voices. I waved the bartender over, as he leaned over the counter, my face getting close to his so he could hear my voice over the loud music playing.