3 | No Response?

DesireeJanuary 18, 2019 (12:52 PM)

Desiree
January 18, 2019 (12:52 PM)

"Girl, Mikey's creepy ass been staring atchu this whole lunch period. Y'all together or sumn?"

I sent the letter last week and I ain't get one back. I sound impatient but y'all can't blame me, I was already nervous about sending the letter. What if he didn't get it? .. No, they would've probably sent it back to me.

"Miss, you don't hear people talkin to you?" I snapped out of my thoughts and looked up to see Jasmine staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nia was asking you an important question..." she tells me.

"Oh, what is it? You always got questions," I turned to Nia next to me.

She smacked her lips. "Mikey been starin at you since we sat down," I turned around to see what she was talking about, only to catch his gaze.

"You sure it's me he's staring at?" I asked her.

"Bitch, who else could he be staring at? You tha only one he talk to like that...what happened between y'all?" Jasmine butts in.

"Nothing," I say while shrugging. "You know Mikey, he always on some weird shit."

"Mmmhmm."

"Sis, you know he likes you so why you keep playin wit him?" Nia asks.

"Nobody is playin wit anyone. I'm simply not interested in anyone that goes to this school..." I say truthfully.

"Why?"

"I been at this school for four years and I ain't hear nothing good about the boys."

"True. Y'all remember when Trey and Uniqua was on and off in 10th. It was because he kept cheating and she kept taking him back," Jasmine says.

"Yeah, it was tea for the whole year," Nia said, chuckling.

"It was some good hot tea at the beginning but then it got cold and old," I added.

"For real!" Both Nia and Jasmine said at the same time.

Lunch ended in the next few minutes and we had to head to our next class. The rest of the day went smoothly and just like that, it was time to go home.

During my walk home, I couldn't stop thinking about the letter response that I never got. I feel like I been thinkin bout it too much lately.

When I arrived, I didn't even bother checking the mailbox and went upstairs.

"Granny, I'm home!" I called out, hoping she would hear me.

"I'm in the kitchen!" I heard her shout back.

I headed to my room to drop my bag down and take my shoes off. After that, I went into the kitchen to see my Grandma cooking.

"Hi grandma," I greeted her.

She looked up from the pot she was cooking in. "Hello Honey. Something came for you in the mail."

"What?"

"It's on the table in the dining room."

I found myself in the dining room, looking on the table. When I found the envelope, I read where it came from and opened it.

He wrote back. One page(double sided). Thank God. I went to my room and read the letter:

'Wassup Desiree,

       You the first person and probably only person who wrote me a letter(Your name is beautiful by the way). I ain't think anybody was finna write to me with the wack ass profile but you did. When they gave me ya letter, I had to ask if they was sure it was for me. Aight, I'm Vance Wright and I been locked up for almost 7 years. I didn't get the chance to finish high school so I can't relate (and I'm a Scorpio). Ain't nothin much I can say about myself, to be honest, but I'll answer your questions. The favorite color is orange, and not cause it's the only color I've seen in a while. The favorite food gotta be lemon pepper wings, those be bussin on good days. When I get out, I'm for sure gonna hit up Red Lobster, it was the last restaurant I went to before I got locked up. And I always wanted to go somewhere in the Caribbean and I got a older brother and a older sister. Last time I talked to them they was doing aight...my bro got his second baby on the way and my sister became a gynecologist. Out of the three of us, 2 became something. Yo, I wanna thank you for writing to me, ion think you know how much this shit mean to me. I hope you write back when you come up wit some intense questions. You sound like a beautiful person and I hope you shoot for the stars but aim for the moon.

—Vance'

He sounds so nice and I'm glad that I was able to make him happy just by writing him a letter. But...I still don't know if I can trust him so no personal information should be revealed in the next letter.

This time, ima ask him some 'intense questions' like he requested, Tomorrow when I have more time on my hands.

End of Chapter