14 | Trust

DesireeOctober 16, 2019 (4:52 PM)

Desiree
October 16, 2019 (4:52 PM)

"You deadass just quoted All the Bright Places. You think you sweet, huh?"

"The fact that you know where it's from says a lot."

"I told you that I read during my free time in prison so of course I read that one."

"What else did you read?"

"The Alchemist, that one was on some deep shit. The Other Wes Moore, that one was the most interestin one outta all ov em. La Línea, The Sun is Also a Star, Dear Martin and The Hate U Give. I read a lot more but thas all I can remember."

"Aight so you don't have a favorite genre?"

"Nigga i was locked up so I ain't have that many options. I read what was there..."

"Oh ok."

"What about chu? Watchu read?"

"Think of any sad ass book and I can tell you that I've read it."

"Me Before You?"

I nodded with a smile.

"Five Feet Apart?"

I nodded again.

"Thas the only two I can think of. Ion know nun else..."

Two days after we linked, here we are in my apartment having a slightly boring conversation about books.

Vance is so sweet. We spent the past couple days either talking on the phone or meeting up. And lemme say that it's been a glorious 2 days.

Maybe inviting him over to my apartment was too soon but I don't care. I think I'm starting to genuinely trust him. So unless he switches up from the sweet and funny man that I'm talkin to right now and pulls out a gun and robs me, I'm definitely warming up to him.

Or maybe that's what he wants me to do—warm up to him. Bitch, it's hard as fuck not to trust him only because he makes it hard.

"So is this apart of your big plan?" I asked him without even thinking.

Once the question left my mouth, I immediately regretted it.

"What plan?" He asked wit a confused tone.

"Nothing. Don't listen to me. I'm on my dumb shit."

I'm not tryna kill the vibe we got goin right now.

"Nah, Say what's on ya mind, mamas."

"Vance, I said it was nothing."

"Aight, ima let it slide only cause I'm in your crib."

"...so when do you start at your new job?"

"Next Wednesday. I need the bread so I can move outta my sisters crib."

"Well that's good. What's the job?"

"Ima be a 'Food Packer' at the Whole Foods up the street."

"Oh, ok...what's that?"

He shrugged. "Ion know yet but ima know when the time comes."

I just nodded.

"It's only part time but it's 15 an hour."

"Oh, so it's better than flipping burgers then."

"How much people get paid doin dat nowadays?"

"...I can't give you a good answer."

Vance
October 16, 2019 (5:48 PM)

"So when I'm finna see you again? Cause ion know if you know dis already but I like hangin witchu...talkin witchu and laughin witchu."

"You're free to see me anytime you want..." Desiree answers with the smile I loved on her.

"Aight, ima text you later," I said before I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Ok...go before your sister comes to find you," she said as she opened the door.

I chuckled when I peeped she was blushin.

"Bye, mamas," I said once I walked out.

"Bye," she smiled at me before she slowly closed the door.

I turned around and started making my way out the building. We built this whole bond while I was locked away...thas what I love about this whole relationship.

She don't see me as a felon and that, I appreciate. I appreciate it so much that I can't even think about taking it for granted.

I made it to the car when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I took it out to see it was a notification from the gram.

Tf? I opened my phone and texted back cause ion play dat shit.

Who dis?

Woww. That's how u wanna be?
Ain't no way u went to jail and forgot abt me

??

Vancey, stop playin.
It's Keyari

Aight.
Why's u hittin my line?

I heard u got out and I wanted to see u

why?

Bc we have some things to talk abt

if u wanted to talk u woulda paid me a visit while I was locked up

Ik but ion like how we left things back in 2012

Good for u
I gotta go

Let's link soon

Nah, I'm good.
Block me or I will

Fine. Be like that nigga
See if I care

These jawns movin funny. Ion like it.

End of Chapter