Chapter 46

"And here's breakfast for my favorite Stark, but don't tell your Dad."

"I heard that!" Tony shouted from the next room. Peter and Natasha looked at each other and then burst out laughing. Nat had spent the last few days with them, and she and Tony were trying to figure out how to handle it in the future. She wanted to stay close to them, at least until Pepper returned, but she had no idea how much time she had before someone finds her.

"So what time does your school end today?" Natasha wondered, sipping her coffee, watching Peter how fast he was eating cheese toast. Peter didn't remember the last time he had such a good breakfast. Maybe when Pepper was still here with them. His heart pounded as he realized that he actually missed drawn hearts or small messages written on a snack bag.

"At three. I mean, last class was canceled, but I have a robotics club," Peter replied, stuffing the rest of the toast into his mouth. "What are your plans for today?"

"I don't know, I'll probably just hang out here and play your favorite video games so I can beat you one day," she grinned at him, and he chuckled. "And after school, I could pick you up, what do you say?"

Peter stopped. "Well, you know... are you sure this is a really good idea? I'd hate to have someone - you know. You shouldn't take unnecessary risks, and I'd blame myself if you had to... go away because of me." Having Natasha here was a really big distraction, and although she could never fully replace Pepper, there was some happiness with her again, and Peter wasn't so gloomy anymore. Tony was more smiling, too. Natasha gave them hope - she had talked to Pepper. Maybe not everything was lost yet.

"You don't know me at all, kid! I take risks all the time. What kind of life would that be otherwise?" she winked at him, and as he grabbed his backpack and was about to leave, she put her hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, I got it under control. If I don't feel like it, I don't suggest it. But I'm not the type to sit on my ass at home and hide."

"I know, Aunt Nat. And I really like that about you, even though I'm a little worried about you sometimes," Peter admitted, then hugged her. "Do you think Mom will come back?" he asked her a question he didn't dare ask his father. Natasha stroked his hair.

"But of course she'll be back, honey. Just give her some more time. You always have to wait for the best. And never stop believing either, understand? Everything will be fine again," she smiled at him and then pinched his nose. Peter pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"Okay," he said simply, then went to school. He sent a few messages to Pepper along the way, hoping they would cheer her day up a little.

•••

"Peter, you're literally shining today! I'm really glad to see that," Beck said when the robotics club was over and the students started leaving.  Lately, the two have grown accustomed to staying longer than the others and talking just about everything. Ned noticed, too, and to keep from interfering with them, he always smiled encouragingly at Peter and showed him thumbs up before he went home.

"Yes, I'm starting to feel a little better," Peter nodded, and it was true. It was thanks to Aunt Nat and the good news she had brought with her return. "Maybe things are getting better again," he told him hopefully, though he and Tony hadn't won yet.

"Really?" Beck asked with interest and sat down comfortably in a chair. "Is your mom coming home?"

"No, it's not that... yet. But we hope it will be soon," Peter told him, not avoiding a silly smile as he imagined how one day he comes home from school, and Pepper will be waiting for him in the hallway with her arms open. Sometimes, when he thought of her and remembered the smallest details, he was overwhelmed with such a wave of love and affection that he felt as if he were suffocating. "But my aunt Natasha is back. She... was traveling. She lives with us now and helps us a lot. She is like a star that shines on our path and leads us forward so that we do not forget to live. And my mom is the sun, wherever she goes, she shines and dazzles everyone. But for me and Dad... she changed our life completely and brightened our lives."

Beck smiled broadly at him. "You said that really nicely. I'm very glad you have women like that in your life. I had them by my side too, and without them, I wouldn't be where I am now. I really wish your life would start to take on color again."

"I keep hoping for a good ending," Peter said.

"Good for you. Well, I hate to end it today, but I have one more important meeting and I hate to miss it, so please excuse me. We'll talk again soon, okay?" Beck assured him, said goodbye, and then left quickly.

Peter cheerfully left the school. He hoped Aunt Nat was already waiting for him, so he decided to call her and make sure of that.

Or at least he thought he was calling her.

After the fifth ring, she answered the call. But instead of saying something, there was only silence on the other side. Peter was confused so he looked at the display to see if he had dialed the correct number. His eyes widened.

"M-mom?"

"Is everything okay, baby?" she whispered, and Peter recognized how much was her voice shaking. He closed his eyes and gripped the railing tightly. His heart pounded. After such a time, he heard his mother again. And it seemed to him that it was the same between them again as before. Like nothing happened.

"No. It's not okay, Mom. Nothing is okay, because you're not here," he told her truthfully, though he was a little afraid she would hang up after his words. "I really miss you. I know it's not easy, but I wish you were here. With us. You're coming back, right?"

"I miss you too, darling. But believe me, it will be better if I stay here for a little longer."

"I love you so much, Mom," Peter blurted out quickly, tears welling up in his eyes. "I just want you to know. Can I call you again? Please," he asked, watching out of the corner of his eye that Nat headed to him. He wanted to keep the conversation with his mother to himself. Like a little secret, he could cuddle and cherish.

"Yes of course. I'll have to go, Peter."

"Me too, Mom. We think of you every day."

"I'm thinking of you too. Have a nice day, baby." And then she hung up. Just in time, because Nat was almost there.

"Who did you talk to?" she asked. Peter shivered, his eyes burning, but he was smiling.

"With Ned," he said quickly. "So can we go home?"

•••

"Stark didn't have any siblings, did he? Not even a step one," the brown-haired man thought hard, throwing his feet on the coffee table. The woman sitting across from him shot him a warning look.

"As far as I know, no. I'd say we're not wrong about this. Natasha is not such a common name. So it must be Black Widow," she said, rubbing her hands contentedly. Another plan began to form in her head.

Quentin grinned. "Are you planning something devilish again?"

"Not at all."

"And what does the woman want here anyway? I thought she had nothing to do here."

"Oh, Quentin," Mary smirked, "that's exactly the ace which we will use."