SIX

SIX. GARCIA

"THIS ISN'T EXACTLY HOW I THOUGHT I'D BE SPENDING MY WEDNESDAY NIGHT," Daisy muttered, wrapping her cardigan around herself and standing close to Emily to maintain body warmth. She didn't exactly feel comfortable with the whole tomb raider gig the Sheriff had going on, but at the same time she knew she had to see everything for herself. Rossi, Hotch and Prentiss all felt the same.

"Welcome back to the field, kid," Rossi glanced her way briefly, though the majority of his attention was directed towards the six foot deep hole before them.

"I have to advise against this," Hotch's voice grew louder as he and the Sheriff approached. Daisy looked over her shoulder to see her boss, rather disgruntled with the decision being made.

"All due respect, this isn't your town," the Sheriff responded, and Hotch made eye contact with Daisy for a few seconds. She forced a polite smile, before quickly averting her eyes. She still wasn't particularly fond of him. "I have to convince them that Cortland Ryan is dead and buried."

"But you're indulging this killer by perpetuating the ruse he's created."

"He's right," Emily agreed. "It may embolden him, prompt more murders."

The Sheriff stared down into the dark pit. "Sela lost her only daughter to that bastard. We met when I was working the case, grew close. I thought we'd gotten past all this, but I guess I was kidding myself."

With that, he signalled the small crane to start, and the vehicle began carefully lifting the casket from inside the grave. Daisy winced a little at the shrill sound of the machinery, though that was nothing compared to Hotch.

She looked across when she noticed him lift his hand to his ear, and her eyebrows furrowed deeply. She grabbed Emily's arm to alert her, and the older woman turned her head as well. "Hotch?"

The man stepped away from the scene, pain visible on his face. Daisy and Emily exchanged a look before the former trudged over to check if he was okay. It probably wasn't the best idea, considering that they hardly knew each other, so Emily remained close behind.

"Agent Hotchner?" she asked softly, instinctively reaching out and cradling his bent elbows. She was short in comparison to his large figure, and since she chose not to wear heels like Emily or JJ, she didn't have any artificial advantage. "Sir, are you okay?"

"It's from the accident," Emily sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"Agent Hotchner, is there anything I can do?" Daisy asked, trying not to speak too loudly as to not overwhelm him further. She wasn't exactly sure what to do other than treat what he was experiencing as sensory overload, and she chose to back away to give him the space he needed.

Once the casket was lowered to the ground, Hotch calmed a little, though he still held his ringing head. He stumbled a little, so Daisy kept her arms out just in case she needed to catch him. As much as she disliked him, she wasn't going to let him fall. "Yeah, I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay."