[40] Baby Shelby

Today marks six weeks. It's a week on from the time Jex and I found out we were going to be parents. A week since everything happened with my family and a few short days since I became a Viper. Upon reflecting I cannot believe how drastically things have shifted in a week, everything has changed so quickly.

Sitting in the waiting room of the clinic I look around. Everywhere you look there are posters of mothers and their babies, useful information written on them in large letters. The waiting room is full and almost every woman in here is at a different stage of her pregnancy. Some are not showing at all (like myself), others who look to be in the middle of their pregnancy and then, of course, those who look like they're ready to pop any day now.

"How are you feeling?" Jex questions, as he takes my hand.

I turn my attention back to him and nod with a soft smile. "Yeah, I'm just taking it all in."

"It's a lot to take in isn't it?" He gives me a small smile and squeezes my hand reassuringly.

"It is, but I'm excited. I know we won't be able to see much on the screen or hear the heartbeat. I know we won't be able to find out the sex of the baby today, but I'm excited to know it's all real and it's happening. We're really having a baby Jex."

"And everything is going to be fine," he presses a kiss to my temple.

"Isabella Ricci," the nurse calls, as she makes her way down the hall.

I stand up, Jex standing with me at the same time, both of us still holding hands. We follow the nurse down the hall and she smiles as we reach a door and she pushes it open. "I'll get you in this room today, Miss Ricci if you wouldn't mind taking a seat on the bed, and Dad I'm assuming?" She asks Jex with a smile.

"Yeah," he smiles back, a proper, excited smile.

"Alright, I'll get you to take a seat over here until we get everything ready to go."

I make my way in and sit up on top of the large bed, Jex taking his place in the seat as the Nurse begins to read the notes. "Alright, we're confirming the pregnancy today. You should be around six weeks, does that sound right?" She questions.

"Yes, the bloods confirmed I was five weeks last week. When I trace back to the time of conception it works out."

"Perfect, and this is your first child?" She questions, as she makes notes.

"Yes. It's the first for both of us," I smile over at Jex.

"Well that's exciting for the both of you," she smiles once more, making conversation. "Was it a planned pregnancy?"

"Uh, no, not exactly. But it's a wanted pregnancy," I assure her.

"Good, I don't need to talk to you about your options then."

"No," I shake my head. "Even though it wasn't planned it's still a blessing."

"That's really nice to hear," the nurse smiles once more. "Alright Bella. I'll get you to lay back and I'll get you ready for the Doctor."

"Thanks," I smile softly and lay back.

Once I'm all prepped the doctor makes her way into the room with a smile. "Hi Isabella, I'm Dr Sung. Apologies for keeping you waiting, it's been so busy today," she laughs softly.

"That's okay," I smile softly and look toward Jex. "This is my boyfriend Jex, the baby's father," I indicate toward Jex.

"Lovely to meet you Jex. Feel free to join us over here when I have the screen ready to go," she encourages, before looking back to me. "Alright I can see the nurse has you well-prepped," she makes her way over and takes the wand, the gel having already been applied to my stomach. "Do you know what we're looking for today?"