Chapter 14: The Ever Nearing End

Izuku was contemplating that dream he had. What did it mean? Why did they keep happening? Questions kept flooding Izuku's senses as he awaited his match. And even then, he wasn't thinking on how to beat Shinso. Not even a little bit. 

This was made apparent to him when he was finally called to the arena. He mentally kicked himself for not thinking about the match at all. He made his way out, trying to come up with a strategy on the spot. He had no idea what his quirk even was. But the way Ojiro and the rest of Shinso's team just forfeited means it must have a very mysterious nature to it.

He sighed as he stepped out onto the battlefield, his purple-haired opponent on the other side. Izuku took a deep breath. Since he didn't know much, his main strategy would have to be to attack first and play defensively.

Even as the crowds cheered, and Present Mic made his biased announcements, both combatants stood there. Stoic. Unrelenting. Even though there were no visual hints as to their minds, it was obvious that both would do whatever it takes to win. 

After what felt like hours to the anticipating combatants and audience, Midnight finally gave the signal to begin. Izuku lead with transmuting a large fist and sending it speeding towards Shinso, who was able to easily duck underneath the large projectile.

Izuku had anticipated this, and used his alchemy to cause the large stone structure to crumble on top of his opponent. Shinso was buried underneath the rubble, due to the large size of the fist. He was able to move enough of it out to get his top half freed, but as he emerged, he saw Izuku rearing back his left arm for an attack. 

Shinso caught the fist, and held it. This was his opportunity. "A metal arm? I can't tell what your quirk is." he said, his face void of emotion.

Izuku punched with his other hand, but was once again stopped. He couldn't transmute with his arms being held like this. "No quirk. Just Alchemy." Izuku said while straining to remove his arms.

Izuku suddenly was... stiff. He stopped straining, struggling, even stopped blinking. Shinso released his grip, but Izuku couldn't attack. His body merely stood there. 

Shinso smirked. "Turn around. Walk off the stadium." he said. 

Izuku's body suddenly began to move. He turned on his heel, and began to slowly walk off the arena. "What am I doing? If I do this I'll be disqualified." Izuku thought. He slowly continued walking. Izuku the had an epiphany. "This must be his quirk. A quirk that allows him to control the body. But what's the trigger? Could it be... verbal? Maybe it started when I told him about my Alchemy." Izuku had figured it out. But that wouldn't do much to help. He was almost to the end of the arena. And then he heard it. That high pitched voice he had heard at the start of his first dream. 

"You're not going to let this best you. Right?" said the voice, as a ball of shadows appeared in front of Izuku. This time with a purple eye, and a toothy grin. "You're better than that."

Izuku was confused. What is happening? His shock quickly grew, and grew. "What are you?" he asked, terrified.

The ball smiled bigger. "So that's how it works. In that case..." the ball morphed and contorted, until it took the shape of a dark, grey face with fangs, and roared at Izuku.

At that point, Izuku had been scared out of the effects of Shinso's quirk. He stopped himself just before he could take the final step over the border of the arena. He turned to face his opponent, and grinned. 

Izuku clapped his hands and transmuted the rubble from earlier together, shaping them into a cannon. Izuku transmuted a firing-reaction in the cannon, sending a large blast out of it, sending Shinso flying back out of the arena.