Shauna Howe

Shauna Melinda Howe was born 11th July 1981 in Oil City, Pennsylvania. 

Around 8pm on 27th October 1992, Shauna was walking home from a Girl Scouts Halloween party in Oil City, Pennsylvania, when she was abducted at the corner of West First Street and Reed Street, two blocks from home. A local resident, Dan Paden, however, witnessed the kidnapping, thereby providing investigators with details of the circumstances, the abductor and the getaway vehicle used.

2 days later, a member of Shauna's family found a piece of her gymnast costume near an abandoned railroad bed in a rural, wooded area in the nearby township of Rockland. Despite a search of the area the day before, Shauna's body was found 200 yards from where the clothing was found the next morning. Shauna's abductors had thrown her alive from a railroad trestle bridge into a dry, rocky creek bed near Coulter's Hole in Rockland, and she had died of blunt force trauma to the head and chest caused by the fall. 

The mystery of Shauna's disappearance and murder continued for nearly 10 years until the investigation had a major breakthrough. In 2002, a DNA sample taken from Oil City resident James O'Brien, who was serving a prison sentence for attempting to kidnap an Oil City woman in 1995, matched a sample of seminal DNA found on Shauna's body in tests run by the FBI lab in Washington, D.C. James had not been a suspect earlier as investigators mistakenly believed he was in jail at the time of the attack, and neither of the brothers fit the eyewitness description. 

The DNA revelation intensified the investigation, with increased presence in the area by the FBI and the Pennsylvania State Police, with the latter searching the home of Eldred "Ted" Walker, who said he may have opened his home to some "really bad" people once who may have done "a disgusting thing." An early suspect, Ted Walker and one of his vehicles had resembled those provided by the witness, but the investigation at the time stalled as his DNA did not match.

In September 2006, Ted, as part of a plea bargain, pleaded guilty to kidnapping and third degree murder and agreed to testify against the O'Brien brothers. In court, he admitted grabbing Shauna and passing her to the O'Briens who were waiting in a parked car. He also admitted knowing the brothers were upstairs in his house with the girl as he heard her crying. He, however, denied any involvement in her death. In October, as the trial ended, the brothers were found guilty of kidnapping, conspiracy and second and third degree murder, but were acquitted on charges of first degree murder and rape.

Following Shauna's murder, the Oil City Council voted to prohibit night time trick-or-treating. The ban remained in place for 15 years, before being lifted in time for Halloween 2008.