Chapter 18

After about half an hour of walking, their increasingly sweaty hands clasped together the entire time, the trail opened up to a wide creek. There was a bridge that crossed over it, but Trist led them towards the bank instead and let go of Gabe's hand so that he could set his bag down.

Trist took his shoes and socks off, so Gabe did as well, and they paddled at the shallow edge of the creek.

"This is pretty," Gabe commented, his toes digging into the smooth, shiny pebbles.

"Mm," Trist agreed. "Want to go swimming?"

"We didn't bring anything to swim in, did we?"

"You're wearing boxers, aren't you?"

"Oh, yeah, I guess so." Gabe's arms reflexively wrapped around his chest. "I guess so."

"We don't have to."

"No, I— it's fine. I just don't want to take my shirt off, but I guess it doesn't really matter if it gets wet."

"Okay. Do you mind if I take mine off?"

"Yeah, that's fine."

Gabe's eyes reflexively leapt away when Trist started to pull his shirt up, but no, it was fine. He was allowed to look. But then as his eyes raked down Trist's bare torso he realised that staring was still maybe a little weird and dragged his eyes away again. He heard Trist stifle a laugh and when Gabe looked back and met his eyes he realised Trist had been watching the entire awkward display. Gabe turned away and busied himself with taking off his cargo shorts.

He jumped when arms wrapped around him from behind, then relaxed and leant back against Trist's body.

"Hey," Trist murmured, his voice low and tempting.

"Hey," Gabe echoed, but his voice came out shaky and weak. Not because he was scared. He wasn't scared, but he sure was a whole lot of something.

Trist turned Gabe around in his arms and then he just hugged him, safe and tight, his hand rubbing slow lines down Gabe's back as Gabe returned the hug. Gabe was a little disappointed when he pulled back. "Swimming?"

Gabe nodded. "Swimming."

The water was warm where it bubbled over their feet, but there was a layer of cooler water that they discovered as they waded deeper. At the deepest point the water reached the middle of Trist's chest, but it was almost up to Gabe's shoulders.

Trist reached out towards Gabe and Gabe reflexively pushed himself backwards, out of reach. For a moment, they just stared at one another.

"Okay," Trist said eventually.

"Sorry." Gabe waded closer again, but he still felt a little nervous about being touched while he was in the water. "I just— reflex, I guess."

"I was just going to— I don't even know. I just wanted to touch you." His eyes pinched together slightly. "And that sounds weird."

"No, that's probably a normal thing to do." Gabe moved a little closer, but he was breathing a little faster and it was only partially because Trist was wet and shirtless and right in front of him. Gabe sighed and combed his hair away from his face with his fingers. "Sorry. I don't go swimming very often. I guess I'm a little nervous about water."

"You can swim, right?"

"Oh, yeah. But I learnt to swim with Adam. So you know. There's part of my brain that's like... don't be within arms reach, idiot. He's going to try to fucking drown you. I know you won't, but..." Gabe shrugged.

"That's fucked up, Gabe."

Gabe made a face. "Sorry. I really do know you won't. It's just like a phobia, I guess. I can't help it."