𝟬𝟮𝟬 a line without a hook

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY.
a line without a hook

     LAST NIGHT, SLEEPING beside JJ Maybank felt almost odd to Nova Van Kirk

LAST NIGHT, SLEEPING beside JJ Maybank felt almost odd to Nova Van Kirk. And it wasn't because she spent the entire night lying incredibly close to him. It wouldn't be the first time she shared a bed with the boy, knowing that their one night stand would have been a first, the familiar memory still burning in the back of her mind. However, Nova couldn't help but dwell on the night before, and the feeling it gave her when she lied in close proximity with the Maybank boy because before last night, the only other time they had shared bed was during a drunken mistake.

But last night was different for many reasons. . .

One, JJ had asked Nova to stay with him which was almost surprising. Yet, Nova couldn't blame JJ for not wanting to be alone considering what happened between him and his dad yesterday. If she was in his position then Nova knew she wouldn't want to be alone either. The girl was just surprised when he asked her to spend the night with him instead of Juno, Kiara or even Pope since they knew him and what he was going through better than her.

Two, despite this not being their first time consumed in a blanket of darkness side by side each other, this time was different, because this was the first time Nova had spent the night with JJ knowing she felt something more for him than being just friends. Last night, when she laid in bed with JJ at her side only reminded Nova of her true feelings for him. She couldn't forget the way her heart began to race when he unknowingly snaked his arm around her waist, making the girl feel safe — more safe than she had ever felt before, or the way she rested her head on his chest, his heartbeat coaxing her to sleep.

For Nova. . . it felt like home.

The next morning, when Nova Van Kirk peeled her eyes open, she was instantly welcomed by the beaming sun that shined brightly on her skin through the glass window placed precisely next to the makeshift bed she had fallen asleep on with JJ Maybank at her side. The sight of the familiar golden rays of sunlight peaking through the curtains cascaded against her porcelain skin, and blinded her bright blue eyes. The beaming light was enough to make Nova lift her hand and shield her gaze from the beaming sun, a tired look washing over her face as she adjusted to the early morning that had been brought upon her.