Chapter 38: Ghost

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the talent of Rubio's fanart of Leo. Also ty to CarnationMyLove who made some epic fanart which you can find on her page! 💕👏

Recap: (Y/n) sees Haris, who doesn't know about his mother's death.

In the smithing room, (Y/n) laid on the couch with her eyes closed. Roman had gone over to his work bench to get something. He told her not to look because it was a surprise. Honestly, (Y/n) didn't mind waiting. It gave her some much needed time to just lay back and rest.

"There we go," Roman said.

(Y/n) peeked her eyes open, to find the red-head walking over.

"Here," he said holding out a canvas bag. He looked away shyly.

(Y/n) took it from his hands. She traced her hand over her name, which was neatly etched into the fabric.

"This is really cool, Roman. How did you make this?"

Roman blushed. He hadn't expected her to be interested in his work. "Well, I can show you if you want."

"Sure," (Y/n) replied, much to his delight.

A goofy grin lit up his face before he turned to go to his workbench. He stumbled over his feet, causing (Y/n) to giggle.

"Oh, shut up," he grumbled.

He cleared off his workbench, placing a stack of papers on top. (Y/n) picked one up, looking at the design drawn with black ink.

"Those are my sketches," Roman said. He picked up a piece of paper and handed it to her. "This is yours."

"How do you get the design on the fabric?" (Y/n) asked.

Roman turned and walked over to his fireplace. He grabbed two long metal rods.

"This," he gestured to the tip of the object, "Is where the design goes."

(Y/n) reached out and took a rod from him. The name Roman was attached to the end, the letters melded together with metal.

"Wow," she whispered.

Roman grabbed the rod and set the tip in the fire. He grabbed a scrap piece of fabric from a shelf.

"When the metal gets hot enough, it burns the design into the material." He waited a few more seconds before grabbing the metal rod. The end was red and hot from the fire. He pressed the tip into the fabric. When he lifted it up, his name was burned onto the material.

"That's pretty much it," he said. He wiped his hands on his pants. "Well, I'm going to clean up. Then we can do whatever you want."

"Okay."

Roman turned away and began to put things away. Meanwhile, (Y/n) looked around his workbench. Her eyes caught an object sitting near the edge; It was a prying tool.

She glanced towards Roman, then back at the object. It was so close. But it was risky. What if he saw her? What would he do?

(Y/n) brought her hand towards the object. Her eyes flickered to Roman. Now. She swiped the tool. She slipped it into the bag he had given her. Roman looked over. (Y/n)'s heart hammered in her chest.

Did he see me?

Roman looked her over. "Are you okay, (Y/n)? You look kind of pale."

He stepped in front of her and looked at her with concern. His body was inches away from the her. Inches away from the bag.

"I'm just overwhelmed with everything that has happened. You don't have to worry about me," (Y/n) lied.

Roman stepped back and rubbed his neck. "Ah, yeah. Sorry about that." An idea popped into his head. "I know this really good bread shop in town. Maybe you would feel better if we got out of the castle."