Chapter XX

Varian woke up and saw that the ground was purple. He quickly widened his eyes and had no idea where he was.

"Ah! What?! Whe-where am I? Aquaria?" Varian looked around quickly but he saw that there was debris floating around him. "What the?"

Suddenly there was a face of a scary looking spirit girl that appeared over the tree that was floating around. The tree started to drift towards him.

"Wha- where-where am I?! Who are you?!" Varian asked in shock and disbelief.

"A friend. Or at least I'd like to be," the girl spoke before the tree sunk below the chunk of ground Varian was standing on.

He peered over the edge and saw the spirit girl, now with a body, standing upside down on the underside of the chunk of land.

"There is a way to save Cassandra. The final incantation," her voice echoed around in the air.

Varian backed up, feeling a bit panicked but then confused. The girl floated up the edge and was standing upright a few feet in front of Varian.

"The sundrop. You must use it against the moonstone's power." She floated forward before her body split in half around Varian.

"What? No, no. But there is no other incantation. It's not on the scroll," Varian said as he pulled out the scroll, turning to look at the girl who's halves joined back together.

"Isn't there? You just need to know how to look," she spoke cryptically as her head turned towards him but her body was still facing away from him before she faded away.

A gust of wind took the scroll from Varian's hand and the scroll became huge as it landed in front of Varian in an upright position.

"You need to use the sun to see the sun," the girl's voice echoed as the scroll dropped but the images of the sun and moon stayed floating in the air.

"Use the sun to see the su- wha- I don't understand!" Varian thought hard as the sun and moon started circling around his waist.

Suddenly the floating platform was engulfed in green flames as the girl's head reappeared, ten times bigger than Varian, floating over the flames.

"Use the sun to see the sun," she repeated and the flames roared as they enlarged.

Varian backed up and let out a cry as he fell off the platform.

He sat up and breathed heavily as he came to his senses.

"That was a dream..."

He then realized that he was still stuck in the cage of black rocks that was hundreds of feet from the ground below.

"Oh, why couldn't this be a dream?" Varian put his head in his hands, wishing Aquaria was with him.

He then thought about his strange dream and looked at his backpack before grabbing the scroll.

"'Use the sun to see the sun'," Varian repeated what the spirit girl had said in his dream.

Varian hummed in thought and moved his goggles from his head to over his eyes.

"What does it mean? Any ideas, Aqua... oh, right..." Varian groaned, remembering that he was alone.

He had no idea what it meant.

💧

Aquaria was humming to herself, trying to keep calm. She heard a sound and snapped her head towards the spot where the sound originated from.