26. PIGGY BACK RIDE

26. PIGGY BACK RIDE

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS MAN really woke me up at six in the morning to go work out with him," The wedding planner mumbles under her breath as she pumps her arms, trying to catch up with Elijah, "I know my ass is dreaming 'cause this shit can't be real

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS MAN really woke me up at six in the morning to go work out with him," The wedding planner mumbles under her breath as she pumps her arms, trying to catch up with Elijah, "I know my ass is dreaming 'cause this shit can't be real."

"Yo," Elijah calls, turning to face her. His feet carry him backwards as he juts his chin towards the woman lagging behind him by a couple of feet, "Are you done talking to yourself? 'Cause you got some catching up to do."

"Fuck you," Aliyah huffs as she strides to meet Elijah who had slowed down significantly, "Yuh really drag me outta mi bed dis mawning fi run?"

Elijah had gotten better at understanding Aliyah's accent and the occasional patois that slips out whenever she's upset or really pissed.

Now seems to be a moment for the latter.

"You're the one that said you wanted to start working out, Lee," Elijah keeps his eyes trained on her as she jogs right in front of him, "You gotta start somewhere."

Aliyah doesn't even have the energy to throw him her middle finger ━ her legs begin to shake and a ball of vomit rises in her throat, her stomach turning from the sudden rush of activities that its host was enduring.

If one could name the most non-athletic person in Charlotte, along with being the best wedding planner, Aliyah Pryce would be the first one on their minds. Despite being an active girl back in high school, she'd fallen off the wagon into a rhythm of sleep, work, eat, and repeat.

Damn, she even considered wash day a workout.

Her chest heaves as she stops right in her spot ━ she'll be damned if she goes any further without throwing up all over the sidewalk.

Elijah sighs as he watches her hunch over the grass, her breath coming out more as a wheeze.

"Fuck, I'm gonna throw up," She hisses, pressing a hand to her stomach. Elijah moves as quickly as he can, rubbing her back gingerly.

A moment passes where Aliyah wills herself to keep everything down which, surprisingly, works. She straightens her back before turning to Elijah who stares at her with concerned eyes.

"You good?" He questions, his hand moving from the small of her back to her cheek, cradling it gently, "You need some water?"

Aliyah shakes her head, squeezing her eyes closed at the thought of anything entering her stomach when she still feels slightly queasy.

"I need a piggy back ride," She tells him, a pout forming on her beautiful face. Elijah groans, throwing his head back as he backs away from her, "Uh-uh," She wags her finger in his direction, "You dragged me out here and you're gonna take me back."