.twenty nine.

The ride on Appa was tense. Y/n sat in the far back of the saddle meditating quietly. She lifted her head as the sky began to turn an angry swirl of red an orange. The air began to smell like ash and smoke.

The comet was coming, and y/n didn't like it.

"Now is the time to go all out." Zuko said quietly.

"Not for you." Y/n replied, making Zuko and Katara turn around.

"You need to assume position as the next fire lord. Katara and I's job is to help you defeat Azula AND keep you safe." Y/n stated, staring at him with so much authority that he was a little intimidated.

"I'm not letting you get hurt." He said seriously.

"You're not going to worry about me. You need to stay alive." She said, closing her eyes once again.

"Y/n. I'm not letting you die."

"If I die, so be it."

Zuko sat back with a frustrated sigh, there was no way he was going to get through to her. She couldn't die, he needed her.
_______

"You're not going to be Fire Lord." Zuko called out as Appa landed on the grounds of the palace. Azula laughed in her sitting position, just as the fire solider was about to place the fire lord crown on her head.

"Because I am." Zuko stated stepping off if Appa.

"And you're going down." Katara stated, following him. Y/n was silent as she stood by Zuko's side.

"Y/n? You're here? Wow, you'll follow my brother anywhere wont you?" She teased, watching y/n snarl.

"How long will it be before he betrays you again? He doesn't love you, y/n, and after this, he won't care more than he did when left you before." She said, standing up and walking to the bottom of the castle stairs.

"We're the same, you and I. You're strong y/n, and together we could be stronger."

"I'm nothing like you." Y/n said calmly.

"Ah maybe you're right, Zuko doesn't have me whipped like he does you." Azula teased.

"I feel bad for you, honestly. You've never felt loved a day in your life, have you?" Azula's eyes widened.

"You know what! If your little boyfriend wants to be fire lord, we can do it the right way! Just me and you, brother. Agni Kai."

"You're on." Zuko growled. Y/n jabbed him softly in the side.

"What are you doing?? She's trying to play you." Katara mumbled.

"I know, but I can take her." Zuko said.

"If you Agni Kai, I cant help you. You know Azula, she's petty, a low blower. She'll do whatever it takes to make you falter, even if it means breaking the Agni Kai rules. Zuko promise me you'll come out fine." Y/n mumbled.

"I promise."

Y/n watched nervously as Azula and Zuko traded blows in an official Ani Kai. Throughout the battle Azula wasn't acting as herself. She wasn't as cocky, less calculated. Y/n could feel her spirit from her spot on the sidelines, and it screamed 'confused'. Azula was confused, deprived of affection. Now all those years of neglect were eating at here in this battle.

"What's wrong Azula? No lightning? Afraid I'll redirect it?" Zuko teased.

"Oh I'll show you lighting!" Azula yelled, creating a string of said material. Zuko braced himself, ready to redirect the lighting, but Azula caught him off guard when she aimed the lighting at Katara.

Everything was in slow motion as Zuko jumped infront of the water tribe girl, taking the bolt right to the chest.

"ZUKO!" Y/n immediately ran out into the battle, standing between Azula and Zuko's fallen body.

"Katara! You help Zuko, I'll take Azula," y/n growled, eyes never leaving the fire nation girl.

Y/n didn't speak as her hands came out beside her, red and blue flames flowed from her palms, stretching and shifting in the air. Azula's expression turned even more feral as y/n's flames shifted into dragon shapes.

"You think you're better than me!" Azula yelled, jumping off the building she was perched on to shoot wall after wall of flames at y/n. Y/n dodged expertly, rolling and twisting to avoid her flames while the flame dragons at her fists returned fire. Y/n's brow was doppled with sweat as she rolled and ducked away from another one of Azula's miscalculated hits. The feral princess reached up, directing a bolt of lightning at y/n, who swiftly dodged, then she turned to make sure the lighting didn't hit Katara. Realizing it was close, y/n decided to move the danger away from the two.

Y/n ducked into a mass of pillars, Azula following close on her tail. She flipped and ducked, trying to find a way to restrain Azula without killing her. The princess threw y/n into a pillar, laughing maniacally. Y/n stilled against the marble, above her head was a hook holding a short piece of chain. Y/n smiled, pulling the chain from the wall.

Stalking around the pillars, y/n peered at Azula as she stood with her back to her. Then swiftly, she moved one of the dragons forward, having it hold Azula's legs together. Then she quickly tackled her, tying the chain around her arms and against the bars under their feet.

Y/n let out a sigh, leaning back against a pillar as Azula struggled and yelled.

"You know... When we were younger, I always thought of you like a sister." Y/n mumbled, catching her eye. She knelt down to Azula's level, giving her a sympathetic look.

"We can be like that again. You can still change." She whispered. Azula lowered her head, the only thing that could be heard was her panting.

"I never understood why mother liked you more than me. But now I know why." She mumbled.

"You weren't like us. You were strong, stronger than me. But you had heart, you weren't a killer." Y/n smiled, a tear slipping down her face. She reached out to cup Azula's cheek in her hand, moving her thumb comfortingly.

"You're not a killer... but I am." Azula lifted her head, breathing one last strong blue flame all the way through y/n's chest. Her breath hitches as she fell to the ground, blood leaking from the hole in her chest cavity.

"If I lose, you do too." Azula mumbled. The last thing y/n could hear before she blacked out, was the sound of a familiar voice.

"Then we ca- Y/N!"

It was Zuko.

He was crying.