Chapter 40

Miranda's POV

I had been here for about a month or so and still no sign of the dwarves. I was starting to get antsy. It was evening and I had just attended dinner with Legolas and Thranduil. Dinners with them were so silent, nothing like dinners with the dwarves. I would never admit it, but I missed them and their rowdy ways.

I sighed and got up, I decided I was going to have a little stroll. I pulled my weapons belt on and pulled my cloak over my head, heading out the door. I knew Mirkwood wasn't safe for me to wander about, but I needed somewhere to practice my fire without burning anything.

As I was walking, I heard footsteps following behind me. I glanced behind; it was Legolas. How could I have been so stupid? I decided to try to lose him. I made many sharp turns and I ended up in a place I had never seen before. "It's beautiful." I whispered.

I spotted a small cave behind the waterfall was surprised when I heard Legolas say, "Are you avoiding me?"

I spun around to find him behind me once again. "Sorry," I said, my face transforming into a frown. "I just wanted to go on a little walk, and I was worried you would try to stop me. Will you join me?"

Legolas nodded and sat down on the grass next to the water, I followed suit. The sight before me was breath-taking. The cave, concealed by the waterfall, was covered with moss. The water from the falls flowed into a slow-moving stream. The stones in and around the stream were smooth over many years.

"Why did you run?" he asked after a long silence. I looked at him confused. "The first time we met." He clarified.

"It was not yet time for us to meet," I told him simply.

"What do you mean? And why did you lie about your name?" He questioned.

"I knew I would be here again, but there was something that I had to do urgently, and I knew if I met you I. probably wouldn't have wanted to leave," I replied honestly. "And I didn't lie. Not really. That was the name that my adoptive family gave to me when they got me." I looked out at the water. "They were mortal. I do not know of their fate."

"How did you end up with a mortal family?" He asked.

"My Naneth did it for my protection." I responded. "I don't know much about it, which is why when I met you, I had to leave in a hurry. I was trying to get to her."

"Trying?" He asked.

"I never made it to Lothlorien." I said. "I was set upon by an orc pack." Although, this only happened after I had met Gandalf. I had escaped easily enough.

After that he was silent for a long while. "Do you like it here as much as you thought you would?"

I smiled at him, "Yes."