06 I paris

Chapter 6 

I got up to find Adrian's comforter draped over me, and a glass of water perched on the table in front of me. I noticed the wine bottle was gone. My throat was parched, so I picked the glass to drink water when I found a note resting below it. I placed the glass back and inspected the note.

I know you were dreaming about me; I saw the smile on your face.

Don't miss me too much, princess.

Until we meet again ;)

Your knight in shining armour,

Adrian

I rolled my eyes at his theatrics, and a small smile graced my face. I picked up the note and moved to my room, which luckily was adjacent to the balcony, so I didn't have to encounter Jace. I placed the note on the bedside. After freshening up and wearing another jersey that belonged to Jace, I sauntered out of my room.

Jace was cooking in the kitchen, on hearing my footsteps, he looked up with a sincere apologetic smile and hopeful eyes and said, "Pancakes?"

But my attention was not on his kind gesture or the truce he was offering. It was on the black eye he was supporting on his other eye.

"How did you get that?" I asked in a leveled uncaring tone, contrary to what I was planning to do. I wanted to plummet the bastard who had hurt my brother.

"Loverboy got a little carried away, but I deserved it." He said sincerely. I wanted to refute his remark about Adrian being a lover boy, but I couldn't be bothered by it at the moment.

Adrian never failed to amaze me by his needless gestures.

"Hmm," I said in a small voice and placed myself on the stools in front of the counter. I sat there silently and poured myself another glass of water. Jace sighed.

"I'll come back," he said softly. I looked up instantly, but I needed to know that he was doing this for himself.

"I'm not forcing your hand, it is your decision," I shrugged.

"I know, and I want to go back. I'm sorry, all this while, I forgot that I wasn't suffering alone. I had you, I have always had you. But I won't run away, not anymore," he said, and I gave him a small smile.

"Good choice," I murmured playfully. I was happy, no, I was ecstatic.

"I'm surprised you changed your mind overnight," I added.

"Adrian can be persuasive. He barged into my room, briefly after you left and delivered this blow. Not my finest moment, you see." He paused and pointed towards his black eye.

"Once he was satisfied, he told me to get my shit together in an unusual way. The guy can surprisingly be quite serious and smart when he wants to be. He then went on about how you shouldn't have to be strong by yourself, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Then said, I quote 'she's your sister, take some responsibility', and described you in various adjectives. Oh, and he threatened to kill me if I ever mentioned this to you, but I shouldn't be the only one embarrassed, now, should I?" He finished with a sly grin on his face.

I was taken aback by his answer. Yet again, Adrian had managed to stun me by his actions. He had stood up for me without a reason. No one had ever stood up for me, not like this, a feeling of warmth settled over my chest.

He hadn't even wanted it to reach me. Wasn't that what most people did, brag, and show that they had done something for you?

Adrian had never been like most people from the very beginning.