25: The first strike

A/N: Thank you so much for 3k reads! I didn't expect this book to do so well in such a short time, especially since the plot has barely even been developed. Things on the story, from now on, will finally get more intense and dwell more on the drama that is sure to follow. But, let's go back to the story!

A/N: rewritten due to changes in writing style

"Is everything okay?"

Hani asked her brother, Alec. Fear and dread imbued in her voice, distorting her words. As the seconds ticked by, Hani's mind fumbled with questions and doubts. What had Alec found about their father? And why did it make him so... restless, nervous? Alec was quiet, motionless, sitting on the bed. Panicking, Hani watched her brother fiddle with the bed sheets and he mumbled under his breath, words and lines that Hani couldn't decipher. Suddenly, he got up and hastily, he closed the door of the room. He made his way back towards her and throughout the whole time, his eyes never once shifted away from her gaze.

"I don't really know what to think of this yet" With his head bent down, Alec, at last, started speaking. "I don't even know if telling you this is the right thing to do.... But you need to hear this, Hani"

Alec's hazel brown eyes, a perfect copy of Hani's dived directly into hers, sparkling with a hesitant determination. His hands shook nervously, it was an odd sight for Hani. Swallowing down the anxiety that bubbled inside of her, Hani reached out and took Alec's hands in hers.

"Dad, he..." His voice trembled, his head waved side to side, as if he was attempting to rearrange his own thoughts into place. "We misunderstood his actions, I believe"

"What actions, Alec?" Hani asked, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"It's about you" Sharply, he replied, yet, not an ounce of scolding or anger coated it. "It's about the deal with Ulric"

Hani's eyes widened and immediately, she refused to listen to whatever Alec had to tell her. She didn't want to talk about this, she never again wanted to hear that name. Hani had, finally, found happiness, a safe place and a relationship that she had always dreamed of. Finally, the girl had freed herself from the chains that trapped her down to this life she didn't want. Hani had been able to choose her own path, her own future. The decision had been made. And nothing would make her change her mind or make her second guess her decision.

"Alec, I don't want to h-"

"You have to, Hani." It seemed that they were little kids again, that Alec was back to ordering her and forcing her to follow his advices. However, this time, the way he grabbed her shoulders and the strong gaze in his eyes, told her that, whatever he had to tell her, was important. "We were wrong about dad. I don't know why he did it, but he has lied to us."

"Please, Alec" Tired of the suspense and the tension in the room, Hani slightly raised her voice at her brother. She just wanted to get this conversation over it so that she could, later on, completely erase it from her mind. "Just tell me what's going on."

"Dad wasn't the one that made the deal. It was Ulric" Sighing, Alec said. Hani's eyes widened in shock, her whole face was washed up in confusion, in shock. "He was the one who offered the deal to dad. On the day you arrived, after you were left alone with Jungkook, I went downstairs to the kitchen to grab some food for Lily when I saw dad. He was furious, insanely furious. The last time I had seen him like that was when we lost mom. So, I knew something bad had happened and I decided to follow him. He went to his office and he trashed the whole place. Things were being thrown, being broken, he was shouting and screaming. It was... it was worrisome"

Alec took a deep breath; he closed his eyes. Silence lingered over the room. Hani shuffled uncomfortably in bed, a weird feeling swirled in her chest. Perhaps, dread, guilt, nervousness? She wasn't sure. The description that Alec had given her of her father's action was shocking to say the least. He wasn't violent, neither was he hot headed or impulsive. When they first found out about the deal, for many days Alec and Hani attempted to understand what had possibly made him do something like that. There was only one period of time in which Hani's father was a ticking bomb and that was after their mother died. Every day, he'd disappear. Every day, he'd lose his temper and he would burst violently into tears. Still, never once, was he a ticking bomb to them. Nothing made sense.