Evelyn Miller: Burnt Out

Evelyn Miller X Female Reader

Summary: you come across a strange writer sitting atop a mountain and he drags you into a confusing conversation. You never would have guessed that it would be the start of an unlikely friendship.

Word Count: 4100

Ever since the disbandment of the Van der Linde gang you had been out on your own. It wasn't too bad, you made a decent living but never stayed too long in one spot. You would make some cash in one town and be gone by the next night. You mainly made a living collecting bounties these days but you liked to make some extra cash bu helping out random strangers when they were in need and offering payment.

You still kept in touch with the Marstons, they had even offered to let you stay at their ranch for a little while but you had assured them that you were fine and doing alright by yourself. And it was true, you were.

You knew that you would be camping somewhere tonight instead of renting a room in a saloon but you were okay with that. It gave you a chance to just sit and clear you mind or get lost in your thoughts. Either way, you wanted to find somewhere nice so that you could enjoy the view.

Riding up a mountain, you decided that this would be a good place to rest. Maybe you would camp a safe distance from the cliff edge, giving yourself a change to look out over the land below.

But instead of a quiet place to spend the rest of the day and the night, you found a man sitting on a rock. You sighed to yourself but decided to just leave him, get out of there before he even sure. You were just about to do so but before you could turn and leave, he looked over his shoulder at you.

"Uh, sorry, didn't mean to bother you" you apologised, not having even meant to get his attention.

"It's quite alright" the man assured you with a small nod. You nodded back before beginning turn turn to leave, only for him to start talking again, "You know...this landscape...these views...this America...it holds us tight...and once we've seen it we'll never know ignorance again."

You sighed and dismounted your horse when you realised that he was going to keep talking. "I think we'll agree to disagree on that one but sure" you hummed, making him give you a curious look. "Ignorance will always be rampant. Trust me, I've seen enough of it over my life time" you explained as you walked over to where he was sitting.

"I'm sure you have, I suppose we all have, I just...it is that beauty...which really is the eternal beauty that is truth. This...is God. Not the proof...but the thing. Not his work, but him. Wonderment is our morphine I suppose" the man stood and talked like he was giving a speech to the view in front of you both, even opening his arms to it.

"If I knew what you were talking about I'm sure I'd suppose too" you just nodded in agreement as you sat down on a rock, deciding to take a seat when you realised that this might go on for a while.

"All us Americans dream of places. They are our god...our dreams...us perhaps" the man continued.

"Ain't got no God, ain't got no dreams...not anymore, so I don't know where that leaves me" you shrugged, not understanding this strange man. Maybe he was just an optimist...maybe he was just trying to convince himself.

"...forgive my crude naivete..." the man sighed as he turned back to you.

"Forgiven" you nodded once at him.

"So what are you exactly?" he asked curiously, walking back over to where you were sitting.

"Excuse me?" you raised an eyebrow at him. What kind of question was that?