Patronus

Gryffindor won the rematch, 200 to 50 points, as Hari caught the Snitch pretty early on. She had a new broom, a Firebolt that Sirius had gotten her, and she soared far in front of Cedric as they raced for the snitch. 

 • • •

Hari started Patronus lessons with professor Lupin soon after that. Unknown to Lupin, she had been practicing after getting ahold of a seventh year defence textbook.

Lupin asked her to meet him in the empty History of Magic classroom. She left Ajax to wander as he usually did when she was in class, and made her way to the classroom. Tucking Nimhe into her collar to make sure the snake was hidden. It was dark and empty when she arrived, she sat near the door and waited.  Five minutes later Professor Lupin turned up, he waved his wand, and the candles around the room lit.

"So..." Professor Lupin had taken out his own wand, and indicated that Hari should do the same. "The spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, Harry -- well beyond ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm."

Yes, I've read about it, it conjures a guardian. I mean it literally translates to 'I await a guardian.' 

"Why do you know the translation?"

It helps me do non verbal spells.

"Alright, can you attempt the spell. Now remember you need to concentrate on a happy memory, and cast the spell."

A happy memory, she didn't have many of those, but while practicing she had chosen one of the many times that she had escaped to go read with Draco.

She twirled her wand once through the air, concentrating, and silver light came from the end of her wand. She had not managed a corporeal patronus, but could produce a strong light and a sort of misty shadow.

"Very good," said Lupin, smiling. "Right, then -- ready to try it on a dementor?"

What? On a dementor? How?

"In this desk I have a boggart, I'm hoping it will turn strait into a dementor this time."

I don't think it will

"Can we try?"

Alright, she gripped her wand tightly, and moved into the middle of the classroom. 

Lupin lifted the lid of the desk and the boggart rose slowly it was flickering through all the images it had shown last time, before finally picking a dementor. Its hooded face turned toward Hari, one glistening, scabbed hand gripping its cloak. The lamps around the classroom flickered and went out. The dementor stepped from the desk and started to sweep silently toward Hari, a wave of piercing cold broke over her --

A faint mist came from the end of her wand, but it disappeared, and then the classroom and the dementor were dissolving.... Hari was failing again through thick black fog, and then she was trapped in the dark again, all there was was pain. Her memories washed over her, the Durleys, the loss of her parents, being torn into a million pieces again and again.

Hari suddenly jerked back to life. She was lying curled up on the floor. The classroom lamps were alight again. 

She sat up, feeling cold sweat trickling. Nimhe shifter around her, rubbing her head around Hari. #You can do it# The silver snake hissed.

"Are you all right?" Lupin asked, he seemed confused, he must have heard the faint hissing.

Hari nodded, then pulled herself up on one of the desks and leaned against it.

"Here --" Lupin handed her a Chocolate Frog. "Eat this before we try again. I didn't expect you to do it your first time; in fact, I was astounded that you even managed mist."

Hari nodded

"Are you ready to continue?"

Hari nodded again, preparing to cast the spell again.

And again, and again, and again. But the memory wasn't happy enough and she would never get it right.

It was only a week later in their third practice session when Lupin said"You might want to try to find an even happier memory" that Hari realized that she did in fact have a happier memory, Christmas with Draco last year. She gripped her wand tightly again and took up her position in the middle of the classroom.

"Ready?" said Lupin, gripping the lid.

Hari nodded, The room went icily cold and dark once more. The dementor glided forward, drawing its breath; one rotting hand was extending toward Hari - it reached out and touched her, Nimhe moved slightly, and then -

#I await a gaurdian!# Hari hissed, and a bright white shape blasted from the end of her wand. The dementor fell away from it, cowering back into the desk.

The shape cantered back and Hari saw that is was a glowing doe. It nuzzled its head against Hari's cheek, then looked at Lupin, who was staring at it in awe, before disappearing.

She walked over to Lupin, who seemed to be in shock. 

Are you alright?

Lupin shook himself, "Yes I'm fine, it's just....... your patronus...... is the same...... as your mother's" He said slowly and hesitantly. He handed Hari a large bar of Honeydukes' best chocolate. "You should eat this."

The same as my mother's?

"Yes, you see, Sirius is an animagus."

Yes, and so is Petigrew.

"Correct, and your father was as well, a stag to be precise. When she fell in love with him, your mother's patronus changed to a doe."

Hari nodded

"You had better be going to bed, I believe you have practice tomorrow morning?"

Yes, thank you again.

"I had planned to be teaching you for a few more weeks, but I guess that's not the case. See you Hari."

See you Professor

"And don't forget your homework is due tomorrow." He closed the door behind her.

Her homework, yeah right, she'd finished that last week. It wasn't like writing seven inches on minor water demons was particularly hard.

 It wasn't like writing seven inches on minor water demons was particularly hard