twenty-three✰

It was well into the night and I was still wide awake. Rafe's arm was slumped over my waist as he breathes steadily flowed into my neck. I rubbed slow circled onto his arms as I thought about what he said. Three words, eight letters, endless meaning. But was I ready for that?

Looking down at him, I could see the tranquility in his features, something you didn't see much of. I longed for that feeling at this moment, so many things had happened these last few days, I was physically and emotionally exhausted. I closed my eyes once again begging sleep to come.

I sat for a while, eyes closed, praying for sleep but my luck had run out. I slowly shifted my way out of Rafe's embrace before making my way downstairs, hoping the water would lull me to sleep.

I stopped before exiting the room to see Rafe rolling over in the bed, his breathing becoming steady once again. Knowing the boy was asleep and would hopefully stay asleep, I ventured my way out of his room, silently closing the door.

I was met with something I least expected, John Booker Routledge and Sarah Cameron at the top of the stairs, whispering to each other. I mean, I expected Sarah to be there but not to be here, ya know? It was her house after all.

I stepped out of my shock, hoping to slip back into Rafe's room but tripped over the rug, bumping into the wall startling the two people I wanted to avoid. John B and Sarah both looked directly at me as I tried to further back away, tears coming to my eyes once again.

I thought back to the words that broke me, maybe for good. They were relieved I was gone, they thought I was problematic, they were over me. I kept repeating the words in my head as I stared down John B and Sarah.

John B slowly started walking towards me, "Marley," he pleaded as I let the tears flow down my face. I kept backing towards Rafe's door but was stopped at John B's next statement, "he didn't mean it."

I turned to the boy, suddenly enraged by his comment, "if he didn't mean it, why'd he say it?" I stared the boy down as he didn't really know what to say back to me. I turned my attention towards Sarah, "how does it feel to be the replacement, bitchs" I seethed to the girl. The girl gaped at me, but never responded to my statement as John B was now directly in front of me.

"Marley, please, I don't agree with what he said. I love you Mar, you're my baby pogue," John B said grabbing my shoulders, forcing me to look at him. I tried to look for sincerity in his eyes but couldn't see through the tears that clouded my vision.

"I might not like Rafe, but I trust you," he told me, "JJ's just JJ," he sighed out. I knew what the taller boy meant in his statement, if anyone understood how hard JJ had it, it was me. I nodded to the boy slowly releasing the flood gates of tears built up, once again.

John B was the brother I never had, and the thought of losing him, of losing Kie, of losing Pope, and of course even JJ terrified me. I didn't know what I'd do without them and slowly felt my world caving in at the thought of losing them.
I jumped forwards, surprising John B as I threw my body onto his, enveloping him into a hug. I buried my head into his neck as I continued to cry. His hand ran through my hair to comfort me as he whispered into my ear, "I'm not that easy to get rid of Mar."

I pulled away from the boy to look into his golden eyes, whispering to him, "I'd never think of it." Realizing Sarah stood behind us, I quickly pulled myself away from John B, moving over to her, grasping both of her hands.

"I'm sorry, Sarah," I told the girl, "what I said wasn't fair and was mean." I pulled the girl into a hug as she told me it was okay. I hadn't yet notice Rafe exiting his bedroom door and the shocked, yet angered look on his face as he saw me with John B and Sarah. I was surprised he slept through the argument until this point.

"Marley, what's going on," I pulled away from Sarah at the sound of his voice. I turned to the boy behind me, his earlier words echoed through my head once again, as his glare was set directly on John B. I looked up and down at his greek god-like figure, shirtless I should add. I noticed his clenched fists by his side, so I moved my way towards him.

"It's ok blue-eyes, no need to fret over little old me," I joked with the boy as I wrapped his hands around my waist. I heard Sarah and John B both whisper a 'gross' before leaving the hallway with a final ado. I looked up at the boy in front of me seeing him glaring into John B's back.

I ignored the look and pulled him back into his room, "what did he want," he seethed out to me as soon as the door was closed. I shook my head at the boy, running my hands up and down his sides hoping to calm him slightly. As much as I liked this protective side, I didn't need him to fight every battle for me.

"It's ok, bub," I told him, "I went to get water and they were out there. John apologized." Rafe looked down at me, anger still evident in his eyes. I reached up to kiss the boy, whispering, "I'm fine," into the kiss. I could feel the boy relaxing as I pushed him back onto the bed.

Rafe smirked up at me, as I decided to tease the boy obviously thinking this was going somewhere it wasn't. I leaned over his figure, giving him a longing kiss, and just as he tried to pull me closer, I pulled away, "it's bedtime," I said as I jumped into the bed and under the covers. Rafe fell back with a groan as I just chuckled under my breath, finally letting sleep take me.

______________



a/n!

hi
this is... well... this...