Episode 9: fAmIly FiRsT

"Put the mash potatoes in a bowl, and go set up the table," My mother demanded. I arrived exactly when she had told me too. Since I had gotten here she had been barking orders at me left and right. I could feel myself returning further into my shell. Its what these people did to me.

My father had left a little while ago to pick up my brother from the airport. I had used the train to get here. It was about two hours from New York to Connecticut, specifically to my home town located in the southern most part of the state.

"Aren't you excited to see your brother Lora? It's been a while hasn't it?" My mother said. "Sure," I said softly nodding my head. "Apparently he's getting a promotion soon! How exciting, apparently he's moving up to work along side the investment firm in his company. He's gonna be assisting in investments worth hundreds of thousands of dollars! How cool!" My mother gushed.

My jaw ticked. She couldn't be serious. It wasn't worth it. Remember Lora you had to spend the night here. It wasn't worth it.

Then again, you had to spend the night here which means you were gonna have to listen to everyone gush about your brother doing a watered down version of your job. Before I could calm myself down my mouth opened.

"Are you serious mom?" I asked. She turned around, her head whipping forword. I don't think I had said a full sentence since walking through the door. Her face fell in confusion.

"What is it that you think I do?" I asked. She stared at me in surprise and shock. "Uh-I never-well is it something similar? Y-Your always so quiet Lora. I didn't think-," She cut off. "Didn't think what?" I said staring back at her.

She stayed quiet staring blankly at me. We both stood staring at each other. "Do you also assist in investments?" She asked breaking the silence. I scoffed, "Assist? Mother I'm the one who curates them directly working with the clients, not just hundreds of thousands but multi-million dollar deals. I work exclusively with the world richest clients at an elite hedge fund worth billions," I said. I don't know where I got this backbone from, but I had no doubt it was from Marcus.

Her eyes widened in shock. "I-wow, I had no idea," She said. "Of course you didn't because you never ask," I said.

"Y-Your right. I should ask more," She muttered giving me a once over. I crossed my arms in victory. It felt nice to stand up to her. "I should be asking you more about your life, I just thought-you seem so quiet. I didn't think-" She cut off again. "Didn't think what?" I asked.

She looked me up and down again. Her eyebrows scrunched up. "If I ask you more about your life will you tell me why your so skinny?" She asked. Check and mate. This woman was good.

"You don't look healthy, it's concerning Lora," She said. I looked down, why did she have to bring up my biggest insecurity? "I'm fine," I said. There it was. The barely audible voice was back again. I swear nobody knew how to knock me down a peg better than my family. She turned back around facing the oven.

"You don't look fine, the moment you walked through the door your father almost had a heart attack. It's okay to be a little chubby Lora, better than being a bag of bones," She said. "Then why did you hate me for it? Huh? Why did you and everyone else treat me like shit for being fat?" I erupted.

My mother almost jumped in the air at my outburst.

Just then the door opened. "Hello! Look who I ran into at the airport! Its Mr. Big-shot soon to be junior regional investment assistant!" My father announced as he walked through the door. My brother followed behind him carrying a duffle back. "Okay okay, I haven't gotten the promotion yet, let's not get ahead of ourselves," He said laughing.