so... we're friends? // 7

I felt slightly self conscious observing my teammates in the club room after the match. They gave me compliments and whatever during the game, but there in the club room after the match... They all seemed to have a dynamic with each other already, not paying much mind to the new girl. All I wanted was to have a bond with my new teammates, but I had the feeling it would take time with some of them. Before exiting, I took a look at myself in a mirror. My hair had become slightly messy in it's ponytail from the exercise, and I looked very casual in some loose grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt that I changed into. I felt like I stood out a lot compared to the other girls. I looked down at my hand, the one that I hit with, the hand that helped that redhead off the ground. The hand he held onto so tightly for an odd amount of time. At that point I decided to let go of the notion that I had to be wary of familiarity with everyone, those guys got comfortable fast, so why did I have to let it bother me?

Soon enough, maybe I'll get closer to my teammates... Time to go talk to Hinata Shouyou.

Leaving the club room with a satisfied sigh, I took pleasure in how fun the matches were; both teams got a decent amount of wins, though I didn't track which team won more. I was adjusting my shoes at the gym entrance when I heard Kageyama and Hinata still practicing. Dummies... we're supposed to be locking up.

"C'mon just one more Kageyama! I barely did anything the whole game!" Hinata whined. With curiosity getting the better of me I poked my head in the door to watch.

"That's because I could tell your mind was somewhere else. You were making mistakes all over the place." The dark-haired boy was cold and a bit harsh to my classmate.

"One more!" Shouyou clapped his hands together in a pleading prayer. Kageyama simply nodded in slight annoyance and gave Hinata the ball to throw. I recalled that freak hit that they pulled off during the first match, so I stepped inside to lean against the wall with interest and amusement. Could they pull it off again? Was it really on purpose? Shouyou threw the ball in the air to his teammate and immediately began his approach.

My jaw dropped as Hinata flew into the air, and suddenly smacked the ball down into the other court. That Kageyama guy just set that directly into his hitting path! It really wasn't a fluke!

"How the hell...?!" The stupid shock was causing me to speak out loud under my breath, but someone heard me.

"The first time seeing it is the worst... it doesn't get easier playing with freaks." It was Tsukishima, his attitude sour as it had been all of practice.

"Well, how could you get used to something like that? It almost looks fake." I asked incredulous and facing him directly. He clicked his tongue and nodded slowly.

"You're no different." His voice was thick with chiding.

"What the hell do you mean by that?" I inquired, genuinely confused where this dude was coming from. The tall giant leaned down towards my eye level, basically sweating jackassery.

"I'm talking about the way you act on instinct. It's just like them, it's still on purpose. How else would you have thought," As he spoke he reached down and gently tugged the bottom of my t-shirt. His fingers were warm and left electricity as they grazed the exposed skin above the waistband of my sweats. "to pull me by my shirt and adjust the block, the first time seeing their freak quick?" Golden-brown eyes glinted behind his glasses and searched my face for an answer. I shivered involuntarily, speechless from his actions. "I mean, obviously you were off, but your initial reaction was towards the right spot." He smirked as he stood upright again and began walking away.

"I-" Turning as he left, he cut me off.

"See you around." I was stuck there as I watched him walk out the door with Yamaguchi.

What the hell is with that guy...?

"Toshiko!" I jumped as Hinata called my name, not even realizing that I was spacing out. A small smile replaced my daze.

"Which way you going home? We can talk on the way."

xxx

"So... I think we got off on the wrong foot." The cool evening air made me shiver. Shit, I can't believe I forgot my jacket. The sun set started earlier than I thought it would... We both walked in stride as he held his bike handles. I absentmindedly balanced on the curb while talking. "I wasn't really mad at you for this morning."

He let out a disbelieving 'Huh?!' "You weren't?!"

"Well, at first I was." He cringed at himself to that confession. "I mean... only for a minute! It was my first day as a new student. Things had to go smoothly, so I just let it go and got on with my day." I spoke bluntly and straightforward.

"So, you weren't stalking me for revenge?!" He stopped his walking and faced me. His hair was a bit messy from practice. The remark caused me to have fits.

"What?... Revenge?... Who am I... John Wick?" I wheezed through laughter, my bad joke only making me laugh harder, so hard that I nearly lost balance; and stepped off the curb into the street to catch myself. When I looked up, he was blushing a little from embarrassment. I wiped water from my eyes while taking a deep breath to calm down. "I'm sorry, dude. I didn't mean to embarrass you. That's just a funny thought, don't you think?" I bobbed my eyebrows up and down, trying to get him to loosen up. He cracked and began laughing, making me laugh again. My eyes were shut tight and I hugged my stomach in attempts to stop it from cramping.

Then out of nowhere, I felt a hand tightly grab my wrist and pull me with unexpected force. "Careful!" Hinata shouted, just as a car sped past too close to where I was previously standing. I found myself being held to his body, warmth radiating off him and seeping into my bones. He smelled like the interior of the gym, and sweat. He jerked me forwards so fast I had to strain my neck back to keep from bopping my nose into his forehead. His eyes were closed tight, as if bracing for the worst to happen.

As if you didn't just keep me from certain injury...

"Um... so..." I said awkwardly. His eyes shot open to meet mine, and in that moment he looked away and jumped back after releasing me.

"Sorry." He grumbled under his breath.

"No, don't be. Thanks for being aware. I shouldn't have been in the street, so..." I couldn't really look him in the eyes at the moment. I was flustered from being that close to him and also almost being hit by a car. "Let's keep walking." He nodded and resumed walking his bike, this time switching spots with me and walking by the street instead. Things were quiet and only a little awkward as we continued walking home, I didn't expect him to walk me all the way.

"You don't have to come this far with me if it's not on your way home." I said shyly, not trying to sound rude but not wanting him to waste time getting home.

"O-oh it's not out of my way. This is actually the path I take to school and back home, just a thirty minute bike ride up those hills." He pointed up the street that led to winding mountain roads.

"Huh?! All the way that way? 30 minutes? Does it not wear you out??"

"Not really, I've been doing it since middle school." He smiled at me, but I just looked at him dumbfounded.

"Wow, and I thought I was on the brink of unlucky with a 30 minute or so walk to school!"

"Is that so? Where's your house?" He asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Right here, actually." I pointed towards the decent looking house at the end of the street that we were approaching. He looked at it surprised.

"Oh your family lives here? Looks fancy!" I chuckled awkwardly at his remark.

"Yeah, sure... I guess. Anyways..." I shuffled on my feet, stalling the end of the conversation. "We're friends?" His eyes met mine under the amber light of the setting sun, they shined at me brightly. His chest puffed as he inhaled deeply. The feeling of unease and anxiety beginning to creep into my heart that he wasn't answering right away. Finally, he showed his toothy grin, causing any awkwardness or nerves in the air to dissipate.

"You're cool! We're friends!"