40.

The next morning, as Amara made her way to the dining hall for breakfast, she was nervous. What could the Queen possibly want from her? So when didn't find the monarch there, she panicked. Her stomach was in knots as she pretended to be alright.

When Sir Rowan asked about his sister, the King told him that she wasn't feeling well and that all the things happening were taking a toll on her health.

Amara's heart hammered against her chest.

The Queen was sick? Why the hell wasn't she taking care of herself? Granted the circumstances didn't support them... Amara, herself, didn't want to wake up on most days, but Damien would want them to take care of themselves.

After breakfast, she marched towards the Queen's chambers. Her sympathy was drying up. She was tired of the games the Royals played.

The Queen's chambers threw her back in time. She had been a different person the first time she had been there. As a governess but Damien had caught her eyes and... 

The rest is history.

Queen Ravenna was sitting on a grand chair pulled near a round tea table. It was all too familiar to Amara.

'The note was a bit too much.'

One of the maids who was holding a tray of teacups and kettle stumbled at her tone. It was understandable. People usually talked like they were walking on thin ice whenever they were addressing the Queen. 

The maid apologized meekly before hurrying away.

The Queen looked amused, 'Leave us.'

Once all the maids left, Queen Revanna smiled softly and offered the younger woman a seat.

Amara obliged and waited for the Queen to say something that made sense. Instead, the older woman lifted the kettle and looked at her questioningly, 'Tea?'

Another game, Amara snarled inside her head. 

She nodded.

The soft morning light turned the tea golden as the liquid poured out into the small porcelain teacup.

Once the Queen poured herself a cup, Amara took hers and began to blow over it, watching the steam rise from the hot liquid.

'Samuel and I may have to choose an heir, Amara.'

The younger woman glared at the Queen. 'You cannot do that! You cannot lose faith in Damien. He is alive and he is out there relying on us to find him!' she slammed the cup down. Droplets that landed on the back of her hand burned her skin but it didn't matter.

The Queen shut her eyes, 'Yes, that is true, Amara but what's also true is the people cannot be abandoned. If anything has happened to Damien-'

Amara had never felt so much rage in her entire life. 'Damien is your son! You of all people cannot believe that something has happened to him!'

Her body was trembling with rage and the fire in her eyes could burn the Queen.

'You will not understand, Amara. As the Queen, my duty is to my people first-'

'And you're doing a great job at that! Lying to the very people you are sworn to protect!'

None of the comments seemed to rattle the Queen. Instead, there was a smile on the older woman's face that only grew.

'Your son is out there and you find this funny! I would've done anything in my power to find him! But you wouldn't allow me to! You think I didn't notice when more warriors were stationed outside my room!'

There was a pause which was filled by Amara's heavy breaths.

'There's a traitor in the Council, Amara.'

The words took a moment to settle in her frenzied mind. She stared at the Queen in disbelief. 'Who?'

'Don't worry, I know it's not you.'

'So you know who it is?'

The Queen placed her teacup down and reached for Amara's hand which took the younger woman by surprise. 'I want you to do something for me, Amara.'

'What?'

'Today, when the nominees of the chosen heir are asked to step forth, be one amongst them.'

The young Octavian's eyes went wide. 'You want me to be the Chosen Heir?'

The Queen sat back, 'Yes.'

'Why?'

'I trust you, Amara and I trust your love for Damien.' she gave a small and sad smile, 'And I know that you'll do everything to find my son and bring him back.'

'But you do know that your ministers will never agree to it.'

The Queen chuckled, 'I am the Queen, Amara. They are my advisors but I am not obligated to them.' she studied the younger woman, 'So, what do you say? Do you accept?'

Amara for speechless but only for a moment, 'How can I take Damien's place?' Fear racked her nerves. Taking his place seemed to her like a betrayal.

'Why not?'

'I love him! Not for his power but for him and how he is. And I can't-'

'Pardon me for the interruption, Your Highness, Lady Amara,' a maid entered, quivering with fright.

'Did you not hear my instructions?' The Queen sneered at her.

'I apologize, You Highness but the First Warrior's water broke.'