Chapter 44: Offline

The days raced by at Norcha as its inhabitants prepared for the upcoming battle. The recruits ran drills to brush up on the skills most had forgotten after the war. The Summoned spent the majority of their time in the swamps leveling up on the local monsters. Meanwhile, the daeben could be seen taking frequent travels down the river with different types of spears. When not traveling, he either cooked for them, practiced his smithery, meditated, or practiced his Kata. Very rarely did he join the summoned in their raids.

At Leila's behest, the camp had split into six teams, each with a clear purpose. The appointed leaders for each group were: Kashi; Leila; Iason; Jero; Paris; with Narkis and Alex sharing the final team. As the days passed by, each man reflected on their lives, muttering prayers to Aerith for guidance and Gera for strength.

On the tenth day, a ship brought with it the news they had been waiting for. Absalon's army had started the march to Riven. The journey would take five days to complete. Absalon would definitely rest his army for a day, which meant a total of six days for their deadline.

On Leila's behest, Kashi called a halt to the training. He instructed each man to spend the remaining days as they saw fit, but be ready on the appointed day. To his surprise, no one left. They chose instead to stay in the fort, practicing, albeit much less than usual.

Leila watched the recruits, impressed by their valor. They might just pull this off...

 They might just pull this off

Adachi Estate Mansion.

4:23 am, Thursday, 7th May 2043

Adachi Ayumi opened her eyes and raised her hand. I'm back here, huh?

Ayumi removed the Virtual Gear and placed it on her bed as she stood up. Yawning, she shuffled over to her bathroom. Several minutes later, she emerged from her room dressed in her school's uniform, the picture of perfection.

Ayumi's family had a thing for traditionalism. As a result, she lived in a vast compound that resembled the Edo period homes, complete with tatamis, sliding doors, and wooden floorboards.

Ayumi brushed her overly long hair over her shoulder as she walked across the tatami to her father's meditation room. Upon reaching the ornately decorated door, she knelt and then knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" her father's voice cold voice called from within.

"Ayumi, father."

"Open."

Ayumi slid the door open, shuffled in, and then bowed to the floor. "Good morning, father."

General Adachi's back was to Ayumi as he too sat on his knees, practicing his excellent calligraphy. "Ayumi." As always, his voice carried no emotion. "I was informed you spent the entire weekend inside that game of yours. I permitted you to indulge because you promised it enriched your archery. You said nothing about wasting your life away in there."