Chapter - 20

Notes:

I am not even sure how I get this late in posting but at least I am posting. Some of my favourite authors' last updates were around five or so years ago. *sobs in unsatisfied reader life*

Enjoy the chapter. Read the end note too. x

(See the end of the chapter for more notes)

The wolf tore through the chilled, foggy morning air. The branches of the trees scratching its skin or twigs breaking under his force. Its paws felt numb on the moist and muddy paths of the jungle. Its ears flapping to catch noises to keep itself aware of its surroundings.

Those honey-like eyes glowed under the rays of the rising sun. The wolf licked its paw once in a while.

Finally, when it reached the peak of the hill, it mewled, trying not to make too much noise. Its eyes focused on the pack at the valley of the hills.

The pack was still sleeping, some wolves were walking around, maybe on their patrolling duties.

The brown wolf sat on its haunches, looking down at them. The sound of rain caught its ear, the cold drops making it hiss. The wolf stayed though, watching how the pack was waking up for a new day. Omegas coming out to do the daily chores, alphas getting ready for the fieldwork.

The wolf looked over at the distance, Ciara clearly visible from the height. A few boats were there, boatmen waiting for passengers and some were sleeping on their boats.

Its eyes sharpened, going on high alert when he saw Nick coming out of the packhouse. He was going towards the river, maybe to his old pack. They were building a bridge over Ciara to join both of the packs. The wolf snarled under its breath, watching Nick hop onto a boat and cross the river.

It turned away, leaving no trace of its presence.

===$$===$$===

"Hello?" Louis yawned, looking over at the wall-clock and seeing it was only five o'clock in the morning. Harry frowned in his sleep, Louis' voice interrupting his deep slumber. He snuggled closer to Louis, head tucked under the alpha's chin.

Louis smiled, protectively pulling Harry closer.

"Nick is building a bridge between the packs over Ciara."

Louis' smile evaporated, he looked at the clock again, eyes sharpening.

"Who are you?" Louis asked, voice croaking.

"Wow, forgot my voice, I see, but deleted my number from your phone too?" the person said, all playful and giggly.

Louis pulled the phone away from his ear, looking at the bright screen for a second before a warm smile brightened up his face.

"Mason!"

The laugh was expected, Mason hummed, "finally woke up, I see."

"Hey," Louis chuckled, feeling the warmth spread through his body to talk to one of his close friends, "how are you?"

Harry had woken up when Louis accepted the call, he blinked leisurely up at Louis, staring at the alpha as Louis talked.

"I am fine, Lou, how are you?" Mason's voice sounded comfortingly bubbly, "how is Harry? You all doing fine?"