36. About The Man

"I see your fear and raise you courage."

~Marie Jaskulka

Gretchen and Michael were so deep in their conversation on Monday morning, barely heard Ace and Scarlett approach

"Gretchen, Michael," their boss said as he walked up to the table.

"Good morning, Mr. Hardwood," Gretchen said and held out a file to him. "Here's the agreement you wanted to go through."

"Thank you, Gretchen," Ace took the file and opened it.

There was a strange and awkward silence in the air as all three of his employees watched him skim the file. Ace raised his head realizing this and looked at all three faces.

"Anything the matter?" he asked.

All three shook their heads.

He looked at the three of them once again, suspiciously. "Well, then, get to work. I don't pay you to look at my face."

"If you did, we would have quit a long time ago," Scarlett said, with a lopsided smile.

Ace turned to her. Looking at her smiling face and teasing tone, he suddenly had the urge to kiss her, but he didn't.

Gretchen and Michael exchanged a look.

"Get to work, Ambrose," Ace said, before walking into his office and closing the door behind him.

Scarlett turned to her coworkers. "Why the whispering?" she asked.

Michael looked towards Gretchen and then, back at Scarlett. "Has Ace been," he hesitated and then, lowered his voice, making Scarlett lean in towards him, "Acting strangely?"

Scarlett frowned. "More strangely than usual? No."

"Did he say anything?" Gretchen asked, "Out of the ordinary?"

Scarlett shook her head. "Why?"

Michael looked back at the closed door to Ace's office. He made sure that the door was firmly closed before turning back to the women. "He called me on Friday night with a bizarre request."

Scarlett raised her eyebrows. "What?"

Michael leaned against Gretchen's desk with one hand. "He wanted" – Michael squeezed his eyes shut – "Fairy-lights."

Scarlett straightened, her eyes widening. "Fairy-lights?"

Michael nodded, gravely. Gretchen, who had already heard the story nodded.

Scarlett nodded back, showing that she understood, her eyes still wide. "Oh, dear. We must alert the church elders."

Michael's shoulders slumped and Scarlett's face broke out into a grin.