• 101 •

Cecil panted heavily, scratches and cuts all over her body, blood dirtying her clean clothes that she just changed into. The cloak that Xue had given her was badly torn now, there were even some bruises forming on the places that showed her bare skin.

Isleif was on the ground, coughing mouthfuls of blood. He was in an even worse state compared to Cecil, and he was still heavily injured from the fight with Mir.

Zeau blinked, still wearing the gentle smile on his face that seemed eerie. He still looked the same as he did when he exited the cave, the two of them didn’t even land a hit on him. His left boot was pressing down on Isleif’s back, forcing him to the ground. 

Cecil couldn’t do anything, one of her arms had been heavily injured when Zeau parried one of her attacks. 

“I think I have delayed you long enough,” Zeau stated, tilting his head to one side. “Now that I think about it, I should have killed the two of you instead of playing around.” 

Cecil grimaced, her body was aching and throbbing in pain. 

“The two of you do not contribute to our plans either way,” Zeau sighed. “I wasted so much effort, all for naught.” 

Cecil bit on her lower lip, her face pale. 

Am I ready to die yet? In this world?

Cecil squeezed her eyes close for a second, shaking her head.

No, not yet. 

Though I don’t belong here, I still want to stay.  I want to stay by their side, both Hana and Xue. 

I do not want to die, not yet.

Not until I see those two safe and sound.

Not until I see them happy with their own lives. 

They are not just characters in a book to me, they are...they are more then that...

Zeau nodded to himself, gesturing to Isleif. “I can kill you, since Xue would still manage to absorb you, but the mortal woman…” 

It was like Zeau said, he was planning to use Cecil as leverage. However, she still too much of an unknown factor that he did not dare risk currently.

Cecil looked at Zeau, furrowing her eyebrows in pain. 

“You still haven’t answered my question,” Zeau pointed his sword at her. “How did someone like you become a...friend to Xue and Hana? You do not simply become friends with Xue, there has to be something else…” 

Cecil gulped nervously, the sword inches from her face. She felt the dark magic oozing out from it, and though it wasn’t as fatal as Yelena’s dark magic that made her bleed endlessly, it still wouldn’t be good if the sword left a deep gash on her.

Until now, Cecil wasn’t sure about Zeau’s specialty, since all dark magic users had their own forte. Cecil only knew Zeau did something to Hana, and Hana later eloped with him, leaving Xue alone in this world. Though, the former was a theory speculated by many fans of the novel.

The lazy author, once again, never bothered to explain much about the events. 

Hana simply left Xue, and that was the end of it. 

“A friend is a friend,” Cecil stated, looking wan. “What else do you want me to answer? Like you said, I am but a mere mortal, there is no possible way for me to influence Hana or Xue through any sort of power.” 

“So, you do know what the two of them truly are?” 

Cecil nodded. 

She saw no point in lying to Zeau.