Icy

"You again? We really have to stop this, beautiful," Sonic said as (Y/n) entered his cell again. "You know you're powerless except to burn me, and I'm just stuck as a frozen zombie, basically. There's nothing you can do, so you should go home and wait for the world to end."

"Too bad, then," she said, sitting down with her legs crossed. "I'm not going anywhere." She clasped her hands, closing her eyes. Chains rattled and she cracked one of her eyes open to see Sonic settle himself about a foot away from her in the same position.

"Well then," he said. "Entertain me. May as well make yourself useful while you linger."

"I'm not here to entertain you," she said, closing her eye again. "Now shut up so I can concentrate." The chains rattled again and she opened her left eye as Sonic scooted over to her left side, only a few inches away from her now, the cold from his skin seeping over to her.

"On what?" he asked, tilting his head so his ear brushed her shoulder.

"Kicking you out of your body." The same barking laugh that she'd started to grow used to sounded.

"Sorry to throw a kink in your plans, but unless you're a ghost, that's not possible." He nuzzled into her side and she opened both eyes, huffing in annoyance.

"Tails was right about you," she said, standing up and nudging him away from her with her foot. Sonic's ears twitched, ice flaking off them at the motion.

"Oh?"

"You've become so bitter and hopeless that you aren't you anymore." His eyes narrowed and his ears flattened angrily.

"I hadn't noticed," he snarled. "Do you think it's easy?! Do you think it's easy having people constantly screaming in pain inside my head? Do you think it's easy having another spirit inhabiting your body? Do you think it's easy being frozen all the time? Being locked up by your friends? Being responsible for the destruction of the world when you're supposed to save it? Do you think it's easy, being responsible for hurting your best friend? Huh? Do you?" He sprang to his feet and marched over to her, grabbing her arms and slamming her against the door. "You lived a peaceful life with everything you ever wanted while I was out there protecting you! And what do I get for it? Nothing! It's a thankless job, and here you are, thinking I can remain positive while the world crumbles and I'm locked up here, powerless to stop it!"

"I-I'm sorry! I didn't-" He slapped a hand over her mouth, hissing angrily.

"I was a hero!" he shouted. Soft whispers were backing his every word. "And I've been reduced to this! A frozen ghost of who I used to be!" He leaned into her face. "So, you can come in here, and you can say whatever you like, except that. I never. Ever. Want to hear you use Tails to mock me. Do you hear me? Or I will make sure you hurt when you leave this cell." He released her and stalked over to his cot, sitting down on it and staring at her with slitted eyes.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. Sonic tilted his head, tapping his finger on the edge of the cot. "I'm just scared, and impatient, and I don't know what to do, or how I'm supposed to do it." She rubbed her forehead with both hands, taking a deep breath. "Maybe, if you sit with me, I can focus better." She sat down with her legs crossed once more, closing her eyes.

A moment later, the tell tale sound of the chains rattling sounded, and Sonic came to sit beside her.

~

After hours of meditating with the occasional one-liner from Sonic, (Y/n) was no farther on figuring out how to separate her spirit from her body, much less the blue hero's. Amy escorted her to the dining room where Knuckles and Tails were playing a dice game.