Rain-ey, Dark Clouds

~Wake up, stay with me. Through the flood and through the fear. Right now I need you here, I need you to stay strong, to remind me where I came from and where I belong.~ Nilu.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Are You With Me' by Nilu.

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

••

Riley

It is not Trigonometry to know that something is wrong with my best friend. Not only did she blow off her boyfriend this morning, telling him she won't be coming to school and that he shouldn't stop by, but now here she is, refusing to see him and instead, asking me to deliver her message.

"Come on, Rainey. He's ringing the doorbell. At least go talk to the guy."

"I can't right now, please just go. Tell him I just need some time and space." She shifts onto her side, turning her back to me while she stares out her window conclusively.

I frown. "Why are you blowing him off? The rain is about to tear down anytime soon, and he ensured to stop here on his way home, just to see you. You're being such a 'b-word' right now."

She sighs and shuts her eyes for a moment, a sad look passing over her face.

"Please just do this for me this one time, Ry."

Letting out a deep breath of frustration, I throw my hands in the air and make my way down to answer the door, forgetting that I didn't put my bed-side slippers on and so my feet are freezing from the cold tiles. Grimacing, I grip the knob and open the door, smiling when Ansel shoots me one while he glances over my shoulders.

"Hey, Ry. Where's Rain?" His brows furrow in wonderment.

I can tell he genuinely cares for her. He rode his bike here straight from school and the concernment in his eyes is so easy to identify.

"She, um..."

He stares at me expectantly while I attempt to find the best way to deliver the message. Dark storm clouds settle above us and the atmosphere is humid; already smelling of rain. I need to offer him a reply fast, so he doesn't get caught in the rainstorm that's pending.

"She says she just needs some time and space..."

He sighs as if he already knew that would be my response. "Alright. I figured she wouldn't want to see me; she has been ignoring my messages all day. Is she okay?"

"She's fine physically, I guess, but emotionally she's not being herself."

His forehead puckers with worry as he reaches a hand up to ruffle his hair. "Oh...and I really can't see her?"

I shrug. "Well..."

"It's okay, I'll respect her wishes. Tell her I'll call her later."

I nod. "I will."

He gives me a small smile as he turns away and heads toward his bike. Blowing my cheeks out, I close the door and whirl around to find Rainey standing behind me. Her eyes are fixated through the window where Ansel is riding away down the street.

"Don't you dare stare at him in secret." I frown, reaching for the curtains and pulling them across the transparent glass. "Why did you do that? He rode here to see you and you just blew him off."

She sighs. "You wouldn't understand, Ry."

I rest a hand on my hip, raising a brow. "Oh really? Enlighten me then."

As she parts her lips to plead her case, the house phone begins to ring from the center table. Sighing heavily, she reaches for it and presses it to her ear.