Chapter 17

WE HIT NUMBER ONE YOU GUYS ! WooooHooooo ! Thank you guys so much. I was sooooo happy ;D

Vote, Comment, Fan, Smile, Believe <33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  I shifted slightly and rolled over in my bed, noting how cold it was. I knew something wasn't right. Something that I couldn't put my finger on.

"Mmnn," I mumbled and sat up, rubbing my head. With a jolt of recognition, I jumped from the bed. I was in my old room, the beige walls closing in.

  "Casey?" I asked, tenderly. I heard a soft whimper from the living room. I flung myself into the door, recoiling when it wouldn't budge. I heard more whimpers and our Father's angry voice.

  "Casey!" I screamed, nearly bawling. With a surge of power I snatched a baseball bat out from under my bed and drove it through the wood. I beat the door repeatedly, getting strength from her terrified cries.

 I jumped through the mangled door, scraping some skin on my upper arms and legs. I sprinted into the living room to see Casey crumpled on the floor, Father looming over her. He had struck her more than once, I could see blood coming from her lip.

Not to mention, there were bruises beginning to form.

  "Leave her be!" I thundered, defiance loud and clear. Father turned slowly and stepped towards me, raising his hand. I flinched when it flew across my cheek. Thunder rumbled angerily as he knocked my legs out.

  "He'll never love you." He spat. I was momentarily confused, until I knew. Cain.

 "You're lying." I challenged, though it was weak with breathlessness.

 "Am I?" He sneered now and struck another blow, busting open my lip.

   "Y-yes."

 He laughed as I stuttered and it was a spine tingling sound. Frightening.

  "My, My, My. Sweetie," He purred. A shiver of panic ran through me, as I got another punch in the gut.

  "You'll never be loved by the men you want love from the most."

  I tried to stand and failed, dropping to the wooden floorboard. I looked up at him pitifully and he turned toward Casey. I grabbed his ankle and he turned to growl at me. But, it wasn't him. It was...

Cain.

  His handsome face contorted into a sneer as he kicked me in the stomach. I doubled over. There were tears streaming down my face as my boyfriend hit me. The one who saved me. The one who helped me.

   "
AAAAHHHH!!" I screamed. I shot upright in bed, my face slick with sweat. Tears were streaming down my face and I didn't bother wiping them away. Just a dream. Just a dream. There's no need to cry. Come on Kat, calm down. I pleaded with myself.

Cain busted in through the door, flicked on the light and was by my side in a second.

  "Are you okay?"

  I glanced up at Cain with tired eyes. His black hair was sticking up in an unruly manner, his green eyes, concerned. He reached out a hand and I recoiled, flinching in fear.

  He dropped his hand, expression one of hurt. A tug of guilt pulled at my heartstrings. But, the dream was so vivid. He loomed over me still and I shifted around, uncomfortable. I sucked up all my courage and forced out one word.

  "Nightmare."

  Cain looked up from the ground, curious. I turned away from his gaze, my hair swinging over one shoulder. Maybe if I wasn't seeing him I could say it.

  "About Dad."

 He let out a relieved sigh.

  "And you."

 He sucked it back in.

  "I'm going for a walk." I said in tone that meant no questions.

  Cain stepped aside as I walked towards the door, pulling on some flats.

 "Be safe.'' He whispered as I opened the door. I turned halfway around.

"Thank you. I'll be home soon."

  I shut the door.

  I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding qs I stood on the porch. I just needed a few minutes away, then everything will be normal. I started walking down the driveway and on the right side of the road, near the woods.

  The air was crisp and spiked goosebumps on my exposed skin. I went over the dream, remembering every detail. Now that I knew it was a dream, the fear was dying down. I should think of something better. Something that would make me forget all about it.  My legs moved while I sorted through my jumbled thoughts.

  I thought of last night... or earlier tonight. When he ran a brush through my hair and hugged me with a smile. The memory wrapped itself around my brain, shielding me from everything else.

  Maybe even so messed up, Cain could help. Even without being here. Even when I'm scared.

  I turned on my heel and spun around, surprised at how far from the house I was. I kept his memory close and it brought a warm feeling in my stomach.

  I walked back to the house and attempted to be silent as I crept. There was no need to wake Clara, who had only returned home a few hours before. I slipped down the hall and into my cracked door, the light still on inside.

  Cain sat on my bed, slumped over, back to me. Even though the dream hung around the edges of my subconscious, I swallowed the fear and stepped closer.

 "Cain?" He didn't stir.

  I walked around the twin bed and bent over. Cain's eyes were closed and he was breathing heavily. My heart squeezed. He looked so peaceful and angelic it seemed almost impossible to be afraid, dream or not.

I'm so stupid! I smacked a hand to my head. I rolled my eyes and kneeled down next to the bed. I sat back on my heels and sighed, still watching his face. His eyelashes cast shadows across his face and skin looked soft, unblemished.

  I reached out a hand as he had to me, not thirty minutes ago. Guilt tugged me down further. I kept my hand moving and brushed some hair off his forehead, smiling at it's silky texture.

  I rubbed my thumb against his cheek and saw his lip lift in a smile.

I sat all the way down on the ground, my hand still on his face. I propped my chin up on my knee and kept my other hand on his face, lightly running it up and down his cheek.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, looking away. Even with him asleep, it was still embarrassing.

 "That nightmare freaked me out. I know that's no excuse but," I gave a bitter laugh. "He causes me to be afraid of things I care about most." My eyes widened at what I had just said and I whipped my head around, pleased to see he was still asleep.

  I tipped forward and kissed his head, breathing in his calming scent. I knew tomorrow we'd be back to school. I knew that things wouldn't be as calm as they are now, forever. I headed towards the door, but snapped my finger in a 'oh yea' kind of way and turned back around.

  I skipped back to the bed and pulled the cover over his sleeping form and snuck back out, flicking off the light. I traveled down the length of the hall to Cain's room. I opened the door and stepped in, shutting it behind me.

  I took in a deep breath, breathing in the scents all around. I dropped onto the bed and grinned at the smekll that engulfed the pillow. It smelled sweet yet, spicy. Contradicting itself. I pulled up the covers and smiled even wider.

  This was the safest I'd felt without him around. Coming in at a close second. I felt my eyelids droop and I shifted a little, getting comfortable. A few short minutes later, I was out like a light.

Too bad I didn't notice the slight creak of floor-boards outside my door. ~