Keeper of the Spire, Part 4/6

The gang watch fearfully as a giant, bear-like creature with ram horns roars around the corner.

"I told you something was following us!" Varian shouts at Cassandra.

"'I told you so's' aren't gonna help anyone right now, kid!" Cassandra shouts back.

"Uh, Calliope? What do we do?!" Rapunzel asks.

But Calliope stands frozen with fear, shuddering and muttering to herself. "Kirlok..."

"I'm gonna go with run!" Eugene shouts as they all begin to flee. Rapunzel has to physically grab Calliope and drag her with them as the Kirlok starts to chase after them.

Varian screams as they run, but he realizes that his own screaming is being drowned out by Calliope's. How can something so loud come from someone so little? He wonders.

"Go away!" Calliope screams at the beast.

"I don't think he's listening," Rapunzel says.

"This way!" Eugene says. They all follow him into a hollowed-out crevice leading to a cave inside the mountain. The opening is a tight squeeze, but the Kirlok isn't able to reach them. It snarls viciously, waiting for them to come out.

     The gang heave sighs of relief, happy to be safe from the beast

The gang heave sighs of relief, happy to be safe from the beast. Varian's life flashed before his eyes, and he has to admit that it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

"That was a close one! Huh, guys?" Calliope says with a nervous chuckle.

     Everyone turns and glares at her. "What the heck was that thing?!" Cassandra shouts.

"The Kirlok," Calliope replies, enunciating each syllable "You have to pay attention."

Cassandra blinks, staring angrily at Calliope as if trying to decide how best to murder the woman. Wishing Cass actually would teach Calliope a lesson, but not wanting to see any blood, Varian gently tugs on Cassandra's arm and pulls her away from Calliope.

"Well then," Calliope says, clearing her throat. "The Keeper of the Spire needs to, uh... recollect her thoughts and strategize our next move." She pulls out her linking rings and begins to fiddle with them. As she turns away, the rest of the gang huddle together.

"We have to get rid of her," Cassandra whispers. "She has no idea what she's doing."

     "Cass, we can't," Rapunzel says. "We need her to get into the vault."

"As annoying as Calliope is, Rapunzel's right," Varian says. "I doubt getting into the vault would be very easy without her."

"Surely there's something you could do, Alchemist," Cassandra says.

"You actually want me to use alchemy?" Varian asks, surprised.

"If it means getting rid of her, yes. Use anything you've got. Or better yet, use it on her. Stink bombs, chemical explosions... Got any of those giant automatons left, while you're at it?"