Chapter 48

Miranda's POV

I was in the room with Legolas and Thranduil as he questioned Thorin.

"Some may imagine that a noble quest is at hand." Lord Thranduil said. "A quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon." I couldn't help but cringe slightly as Thranduil talked about killing Smaug. Legolas noticed my grimace and looked at me with concern. I pretended not to notice as his father continued to speak. "I myself suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary. Or something of that ilk." Thranduil studied Thorin's expression and smiled. "You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. The king's jewel: The Arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure. I understand that. There are gems in the mountain that I, too, desire. White gems, of pure starlight. I offer you my help."

Thorin chuckled, "I am listening."

"I will let you go, if you are to return to me what is mine," Lord Thranduil suggested.

"A favor for a favor," Thorin said as he walked around.

"You have my word," Thranduil promised. "One king to another."

Thorin laughed darkly. "I would not trust Thranduil, the great king, to honor his word, should the end of all days be upon us! You, who lack all honor!" Thorin shouted, I could see that his accusations angered Thranduil, but I said nothing. "I have seen how you treat your friends. We came to you once, starving, homeless, seeking your help, but you turned your back! You turned away from the suffering of my people, and the inferno that destroyed us." Thorin spoke in elvish, his accent was thick, but the curse was still there.

"Do not talk to me of dragon fire!" Thranduil ordered. "I know its wrath and ruin. I have faced the great serpents of the north!" His face withered away and one of his eyes became white. I had to look away. This is what a dragon could do, what Smaug tried to do to me. What he has done to so many people. Yet, I could still not bear to see him dead. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turn to find it was Legolas. I offered him a weak smile and turned my attention back to the conversation at hand. "I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon. But he would not listen. You are just like him. Stay here if you will and rot. A hundred years is a mere blink in the life of an elf. I'm patient. I can wait."

~*~

It was time to get ready for the feast and I was waiting for Tauriel so we could get ready together. When she arrived in my room however, she looked downcast.

"Tauriel, what's wrong?" I asked.

"He told me he would never approve of me and Legolas." She said sadly.

"Oh Tauriel, I'm so sorry!" I cried, pulling her into a hug.

"But that's okay," she said. I looked at her confused. "I think that young dwarf, the one without a beard is kind of cute. Besides, you and Legolas would make a better couple. I know you like him, don't even think about arguing with me this time. I know you do."

I looked at her sadly, "Tauriel," I began.

"No," she said. "I don't want to hear it. If you can see our future I don't want to know."

I sighed but followed her wishes, "Let's get ready then shall we?"

Unbeknownst to us, Legolas had been about to knock on my door when he stopped to listen to our conversation, he left moments later, deep in thought.