Chapter 18

"Alright Helix, one more time" I said to the 10 year old boy in front of me. "Red means?"

"Danger!"he says nodding frantically.

"Yellow means"

"Caution!"

"Green means?"

"All Clear, like its all good you know" he shrugs casually.

"And why do we not yell red when we see a spider?"

"Becaus a spider is not danger" Helix said looking slightly embarrassed.

"Very good Helix" I said giving him a tight squeeze on the shoulder, reassuring him all was well.

We were standing guard at the fifth border, Link, myself and three younglings. Black blood tribes younglings was to start at 10 years of age to train, patrol and hunt. This was to sense out from early on their strengths and weakness, some were natural at hunting and others were more fitt to patrol, others even found other jobs that they were more content with.

And Helix was really strugling with border patrol, actually he strugled a bit with everything. But we would find a place for him eventually, we always do.

"Hey Rex, do you want me to take Alie and Kate to do a patrol run?" Link asked

"Yeah.. that would be great Link, make sure they keep the line straight down to sixth!"

"Yes Rex" Link slightly noddes and shoves the girls with him for a run down the boarder line.

I lean myself on a nearby rock. The fifth border was on the far east side of our land, it was covered in trees and rocks as far as the eyes could see. It was free land from here on out, and a little human town just above the furthest treetops. And a small cliff with a ten foot drop were just nexto our small spot, which Helix was currently swinging his legs mid air from.

"I'm not really afraid of spiders" he said.

"Hmhm" I grunt to him.

"No really, I was just s...." Helix started explaining when the sound of a tree branch snaps my animals attension.

I get up hastily, my cat close to the surface, sniffing the air.

Helix quiet beside me, looking frantically all over.

My eyes are still locked in towards the treeline in front of us, wind blowing towards us, giving me a heavy musk scent. My Lynx tenses. A rogue bear.

"Red" I hunch down and wisper to Helix. Maybe just maybe the bear haven't spotted us yet. "Run as fast as you can to middle patrol, code Red, now!"

My instincts went to protect the pack at all cost. Shifting I let out a "RRROOOAAARRR" giving my pack a solid warning and giving out my location to the rogue bear in front of me.

A brown bear came thundering out from the trees and went straight for me, stopping just infront of my Lynx roaring and snarling intimidly. It was all a show of stength, puffing out its chest it went up on it back legs and shifted it's form.

"We meet again!" the brown bear spoke, now in humanform, and I immediately recognize him from Leo's fight in the Pit. "The price on your head is going to make me rich, and will enjoy ripping you apart boy!" he snarled.

I was ready to dig my teeth in his fatt throat and end his cocky attitude. I knew this rogue, I had seen him fight, and he was all bark and no bite. I knew he would be easy to take down.

He shifted again, and just as I was about to snap my teeth at him my Lynx sense someone behind me and I immidiately role to the side as another bear leaps at me from behind.