13- library awkwardness

"Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall"
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,

✵✵✵

The news of Elaine Sauveur and Louis Dolohov dating spread like a wildfire. The students of Hogwarts had always thirsted after gossip, and this was one of the juiciest pieces in many of their school lives. A Gryffindor and a Slytherin going out had always been quite the event, and this time it was the daughter of the French minister for magic, a pureblood sorted into Gryffindor, going out with the heir of a prestigious British family, rightfully sorted into Slytherin.

Elaine was sure that the whole ordeal would blow up in a few weeks. Surely there was a new 'scandal' right around the corner that would make the gossipy gremlins, as Marlene loved to call them, jump on the next train. For now, though, the Blonde was followed by whispers and stares every time she and Louis sat together, kissed each other, or even as much as exchanged glances.

Frankly, she was becoming a bit tired of it.

Which was why she was sat in the library at 7.30 on a Sunday morning, a half finished arithmancy essay sprawled in front of her. At this point, Elaine was thankful for any peace and quiet she could get, and this occasion seemed to be perfect. There were only three something other students with her, and even the strict librarian didn't seem very much awake yet.

The way she was focused on her work, Elaine almost missed Dorcas Meadows and her cousin Olivia entering the library. The two girls had been chatting with each other quietly, that was until they recognized the petite girl slumped over a mass of books and parchment.

"May we sit in your presence or don't you deem us worthy enough?", Olivia startled the younger girl, her almost tripping over the bottle of ink standing next to her.

"What?", Elaine could only muster as an answer, very much confused and stunned.

"Well, seeing as you practically became Hogwarts royalty overnight, we just weren't sure", Olivia announced sarcastically, already dropping her books next to her cousin. "I'm telling you, if they find out what a dramaqueen you are, you will really compete with Black, seeing as you already stole his title of 'fastest to get into a relationship'", she added cheerfully.

"Please, I don't want to hear a single word about my relationship anymore. These students are like goddamn saber-rattlers, trying to prey their way into my private life", Elaine complained gloomily.

"Cheer up, favorite cousin, mommy Dorcy and Livy are here. We will protect you from those bad people", Olivia replied, still way too cheerful for a Sunday morning.

"First of all, you can't call me cousin and daughter in one sentence-" "Obviously, I can-" "-and second of all, what drugs have you been taking?", Elaine inquired, ignoring her cousin's remark.

"Heroin, crack and coffee", Dorcas piped in dryly, pulling out her charms' book. As Elaine smiled at her comment, she couldn't help but notice the Ravenclaw's makeup. Multiple small, painted sunflowers adored Dorcas' eyelid, highlighted by a few specks of glitter.

"How in Merlin's left sock do you do your make-up that fantastically? It looks stunning"; Elaine complimented the immediately blushing girl, looking at her in astonishment.

"Years of practice I guess", she replied shyly. "Years of practice in our dorm mirror as well as on all of her poor roommates", Olivia remarked. "Once I was stuck with a magical eyeshadow look that depicted Hufflepuff's house colors for a whole day!", she cried out, throwing her hands in the air and immediately taking them back down as she was scolded by the librarian.