63. FRAGILE

| CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE |

FRAGILE.

THE LAST PLACE CASSIOPEIA EVER wanted to be was at a funeral. More specifically, Hope Lupin's funeral. The woman was the best mother figure the seventeen year old girl ever had and saying having to say goodbye to that kind woman was the hardest thing Cass had ever had to do, so she couldn't even imagine how Remus felt.

Dumbledore let the Marauders - plus Cass - leave the school for a few days with Remus and the girl couldn't feel more grateful. She knew Remus needed them now more than ever before and she - along with the boys - were going to do everything they could to get the werewolf through this.

After the service was over, Cassiopeia frowned when she spotted Remus walking back into their cottage alone. His head was slumped down as well as his shoulders, making him appear much shorter than he actually was. With a saddened look on her face, Cassiopeia decided to follow the boy. Even though he kept telling them he was fine, his friends could see straight through that lie and Cassiopeia knew that the last thing Remus needed was to isolate himself. 

Cassiopeia found her boyfriend sitting on his bed alone, his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking ever so slightly. He mustn't have heard her coming in as he didn't move an inch. Feeling as if she was about to burst into tears yet again, Cass sat down besides the sandy-brown haired boy. Placing her hand on the top of his knee, she gave it a comforting squeeze, "We're always going to be here for you, Remmy," Her voice was raw. She hadn't been able to speak for most of the day without the fear of suddenly bursting into tears.

Remus finally moved his hands from his face, bringing one of them on top of Cass', "I know," He breathed out, his bloodshot eyes staring at their fingers, "Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me," The black haired girl told him, placing her head on his shoulder, "She loved you."

Remus pressed a soft kiss onto Cass' hair before he placed his chin on the top of her head, "I think she loved you more, though," He said, interlocking their fingers as the memories of his mum gushing over Cassiopeia came into his mind. 

"How about we agree on the fact that she loved us both equally?" Cass said, a soft smile gracing her features, contrasting with the tears that pooled in her blue eyes.

"Deal."

Silence filled Remus' bedroom. Nothing needed to be said in that moment, the comfort came from the fact that two people so deeply in love were together. Cassiopeia used her other hand to gently grip Remus' bicep, the feel of his black suit on her palm was strange, she was more used to his fluffy, be it slightly worn out, sweaters. 

"It's not fair," Remus' voice finally broke the silence. Cassiopeia felt her heart breaking even more how pained his soft voice was, "She won't ever see me graduate," He sniffled, "She was really looking forward to that...She also wanted me to get married, start my own family. Now she won't be able to see any of that either."

Cassiopeia moved her head from his shoulder, her fingers touched his chin gently as she turned his face to hers. The tears stung her eyes as she watched just how broken her boyfriend looked. She had never seen him looking so fragile and she hoped she would never have to see him like that ever again, "She's still here," The black haired girl finally said, her thumb stroking his chin ever so slightly, "She's always be here, Remus. If you don't let the memory of her float away...she won't either. Maybe she won't be there in person to see you graduate or get married, but she will be there," A small smile pushed through the tears, "You'd have to be stupid to think that death could keep Hope Lupin away from her only son's graduation."

Much to her surprise, Remus suddenly broke out in a smile, it was small but it was more than she had seen for well over a week and that's what made it even more special, "I wouldn't have been able to do this today if you weren't there," He told her, his hand overlapped the one she pressed against his cheek.

"You would have to be crazy to think that I would make you do this alone," She told him softly, feeling one of the teardrops finally getting released, rolling down her cheek incredibly quick. However, Remus was quicker as he wiped it away with his thumb before it could even reach the corner of her lips.

"You mean so much to me," He told her sincerely, "Please don't ever leave me."

Cassiopeia gave him a gentle smile. She tried pushing the thoughts of the upcoming war from her mind, "I'm not going anywhere."