seven | princess azula

"Ahhh." Iroh said happily. "This is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks without any food or water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver, could make you so tense." He said as he was getting massaged.

Mari laughed lightly at Iroh while she sat in a chair getting while two ladies began to dry her freshly painted nails with fans. After the attack on the north, the three left the north pole on a driftwood raft, unfourtounetly, having no clue where they were going. Eventually the ended up finding this spa resort and Iroh made friend's with the owner so he let them stay here.

Zuko didn't say anything. And both Iroh and Mari noticed his negative demeanor today, which was even more sour than his normal attitude.

"I see, it's the anniversary, isn't it?" Iroh said walking towards him.

Mari looked up, intrigued.

"Three years ago, today I was banished. I lost it all, I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, I want my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

"I'm sure he doesn't. Why would he banish you if he doesn't care." Iroh said.

Mari face palmed at Iroh's words. Zuko got up and left, annoyed.

"Uh, that came out wrong, didn't it." Iroh said looking back at the two masseuse's.

Mari shook her head. "I'll go talk to him." She said getting up and following after Zuko.

"Hey princess!" She called out, he ignored her and kept walking.

"Zuko, would you stop being so dramatic." She said again. This time he stopped and whipped around, angry.

"What part of me wanting to get home is dramatic?" He said loudly.

"Well, now that I have your attention." She said catching up with him. "I know how you feel. My father's hated me ever since I was born. Once we lost my mother, it sent him over board and he banished me from my own village." She said to him as they continued walking.

"I know it sucks, but you have to think more positive. What's the one thing that keeps you going."

"The avatar." He responded.

"Exactly. So instead of focusing what happened in the past, focus on what you can do now to fix it." She said with a soft smile.

"Now you really sound like Uncle." Zuko said emotionless.

"Do you ever laugh? Or smile even?" She said looking at him.

"No." He said before walking off into the house.

Mari rolled her eyes as she entered the house as well.

---

"Look at these magnificent shells!" Iroh said emptying a bag of sea shells he found on the shore. Mari looked up in shock at Iroh's hilarious tan.

"I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come." He said picking up a konk shell.

"We don't need anymore things, Uncle."

"We have to carry everything ourselves now, Iroh." Mari said with a grin.

"Hello Brother, Uncle, and girl I've never met." Said a voice.

The three turned around to see a girl in fire nation attire sitting at the desk.

"What are you doing here?" Zuko said defensively.

"In my country, we exchange a pleasant hello before asking questions." The girl said picking up a shell. "Have you become uncivalized so soon, Zuzu?"

"Don't call me that." He yelled.

"To what do we owe this honor." Iroh interrupted.

"Hmm must be a family trait. Both of you so quick to get to the point."

"I've come with a message from home. Father's changed his mind. Family is suddenly very important to him. He's heard rumors of plans to overthrow him, treacherous plots. Family are really the only ones you can trust." She said giving Mari a side eye.

"Father regrets your banishment. He wants you home."

Silence.

"Did you hear me? You should be happy, excited, grateful. I just gave you great news."

"I'm sure your brother needs a moment to-"

"Don't interrupt Uncle!" She shouted, cutting him off. "I still haven't heard my thank you. I'm not a messenger. I didn't have to come all this way."

"Father regrets? He wants me back?" Zuko asked softly.

"I can see you need time to take this in. I'll come to call on you tommorow. Good Evening." She said before leaving.

After an hour of processing, Zuko finally jumped up and began to pack. Meanwhile, Mari and Iroh stood together, warily.

"After three long years, It's unbelievable!" Zuko said excitedly.

"It is unbelievable." Iroh said cautiously. "I have never known my brother to regret anything."

"Did you listen to Azula?" Zuko said talking about his sister. "Father's realized how important family is to him. He cares about me." Zuko said, getting defensive.

"I care about you! If it means Ozai wants you back, well I think it may not be for the reasons toy imagine." Iroh exclaimed.

"You don't know how my father feels about me" Zuko said, turning around. "You don't know anything."

"Zuko..." Mari said quietly, advising him to think before he said what he would say next.

"Zuko I only meant that in our family, Things are not always what they seem."

"I think you are exactly what you seem. A lazy, mistrustful, shallow old man, who's always been jealous of his brother." He spat.

"That's enough! Go for a walk." Mari said getting in between the uncle and nephew, pointing to the door. Zuko rolled his eyes and walked away.

Mari turned to see Iroh, his eyes closed in sadness. "Iroh. He's confused, don't take what he said to heart." She said sympathetically.

Iroh only nodded before going to his bedroom to rest.