𝖎.𝖝 𝖉𝖔𝖔𝖒𝖘𝖉𝖆𝖞

HAVEN WAS INSTANTLY HIT WITH A WAVE OF NERVES when she woke up the next morning

HAVEN WAS INSTANTLY HIT WITH A WAVE OF NERVES when she woke up the next morning. The past few days, filled to the brim with emotions, preparation, and even more emotions had brought her to this moment.

Today she would be entering the Hunger Games.

The blonde got out of bed, brushed her teeth and took a quick shower. She couldn't stop thinking to herself as she finished each task, "What if that was the last time I ever do that?"
Haven was nervous about the Games, like anyone would be. But today she was more afraid of everything possibly being her "last", her life disappearing before her eyes.

She dressed in a pair of black pants and pulled a cream sweater over her head, even though she knew she would have to change again once she got to the arena.

Haven walked out into the living room and found Theta waiting for her. "You ready to go? Spencer and his stylist already left a few minutes ago."

"I don't think I would ever be ready. But I don't really have a choice do I?".

"I'm afraid you don't."

Theta led Haven to the elevator, before pressing the "R" button. The pair walked onto the roof, where a hovercraft was waiting for them. Haven took a deep breath, giving one last glance at the Capitol, knowing it could be the last time she sees the world outside the arena, before boarding the hovercraft.

Once she was buckled, a woman in a white suit walked up to Haven. "Arm." she demanded. Haven obliged, sticking out her left arm, her eyes widening as the woman jabbed a giant needle into her arm. The blonde clenched her teeth, her arm throbbing from the pain.

"What is that?" Haven asked. "It's your tracker. So the Gamemakers know where you are." The woman explained before walking away. "That's not creepy at all." The blonde muttered so only Theta could hear.

The engine revved and the hovercraft lifted into the air, the windows instantly going black. The ride lasted about 30 minutes, during which Haven didn't speak a single word, simply staring blankly at the empty seat in front of her.

Theta and Haven got off the hovercraft, finding themselves in the catacombs below the arena. In the launch room, Theta insisted that the girl ate before going into the arena. The blonde ate some toast and drank a few glasses of water, knowing she wouldn't be able to keep anything else down due to her nerves.

"15 minutes to launch."

The stylist unzipped the black garment bag in the corner, revealing the uniform for the arena. "The material is pretty thick, and it's black, which will retain heat. They don't tell us what the arena looks like, but if I had to guess it's going to be cold." Haven frowned. "Cold in District 4 means it's overcast with a little wind, and I have to wear a light jacket. So that doesn't sound too great for me." Theta reassured her that she would be okay, the outfit was built to withstand the cold and she was brave enough to handle the rest.

Haven took the clothes from her stylist, slipping on the black undershirt, and then the matching black jacket and pants, made of thick insulating material. She put on the pair of socks, and then the leather boots with thick, textured soles.

"One more thing." Theta said, reaching into her pocket. "Usually each tribute has a token they can bring into the arena with them, something to remind them of home. I noticed you didn't have one, so I talked to your mentors and they made you this." She pulled out a dainty necklace, handing it to Haven.

"The gold chain is from Mallory, she wore it in her Games, so she said it's a good luck charm." Theta winked. "And the little shark tooth on it is from Finnick. He has a bracelet with a couple on it, and he took one off to give you." "Also the tiny piece of rope knotted on that is courtesy of Collin. He didn't have anything to put on it but he wanted to pitch in."

Haven's eyes watered as Theta fastened the necklace around her neck, taken aback by the sheer kindness her mentors showed her. "Thank you Theta. It means more than you know. If something happens to me, tell them I said thank you."

"Even better, you can tell them yourself when you win."

"2 minutes to launch."

Haven set down the glass of water she was sipping on, her arms visibly shaking. Theta gently grabbed her forearms. "I was in this exact position with Finnick two years ago before his games, and I'm going to tell you the same thing I told him." Haven nodded, she also didn't realize she'd been his stylist.

"Be brave, I know you have it in you. In the moment, choose to fight. And don't ever let them intimidate you, there's no tribute or threat in that arena that you can't handle."

"Thank you Theta. For everything." Haven spoke softly, her stylist wrapping her arms around her.

Theta whispered in her ear. "I don't believe in luck, but even if I did, you wouldn't need it Haven Cleary."

"1 minute to launch."

Haven took a deep breath as she stepped into the tube that more likely than not was bringing her to her death.

"30 seconds to launch."

"You got this." Theta mouthed to her through the glass. Haven smiled back at her.

"5 seconds to launch."

As the tube began to rise, Haven could practically hear her heart pounding in her chest. After a few seconds, the tube emerged into the arena, the blonde squinting her eyes from the brightness.

Haven's eyes adjusted, and she looked out at the arena, which was covered in a blanket of white snow.

"Well shit." she muttered to herself.

// author's note
let the games begin oop. sorry this update took a few days i had so much trouble deciding what i wanted the arena to be like. was originally gonna have the first bit of the games in this chapter but i wanted to update so they will actually start in the next chapter haha.
thank you soooo much for reading, if ya feel like it leave some comments or vote 🥰
- a

 thank you soooo much for reading, if ya feel like it leave some comments or vote 🥰- a