37. You're Safe

"Some people,
 when they hear your story,
 contract.

 Others upon hearing your story,
 expand. 

And this is how you know."

Ace Hardwood looked at the time more often than usual

Night had well and truly fallen and he was alone in his office, looking around at the tall bookshelves, not even trying to pretend that he was working.

A document was open on his desk, but he couldn't see the words.

All he could see was Scarlett standing at his bookshelves, humming to herself, making snarky comments in retaliation to his words as she flipped open various books, choosing one to read, making it absolutely impossible for him to work.

Suddenly, his house was completely quiet and it felt more hollow than it had in the many years he had lived there.

There was no movement in the house; no sound of Scarlett sneaking into the kitchen at random moments to get snacks; no sound of Scarlett turning on the jazz station in the TV room; no sound of Scarlett staggering over to him to inform him that she was bored; no sound of Scarlett humming as she flitted through the house on her various jaunts.

There was complete and utter silence.

Ace could almost feel it in his bones.

In the months that Scarlett had lived with him, he had gotten accustomed to her and her habits.

And right now, she wasn't there and he could feel the silence enveloping him.

Ace Hardwood was not one to give up, so he buckled down and stared at the document on his desk with all his might, willing his eyes to read the letters; willing his brain to process it.

When the doorbell rang, however, he was out of his chair in a flash, sprinting down the hall to get to the double doors.

He couldn't help the smile that spread across his face as he threw the door open.

Scarlett stood before him, but didn't share the look of happiness he had on her face.

She looked worried.

Her clear blue eyes were watery.

Her arms were wrapped around her, like she was protecting herself.

She looked up at him, her stilettos clutched in her hand.

Ace knew something was wrong.

"Scarlett," he said, softly.

And that's when she broke down.

The tears that had been brimming in her eyes spilled over, unleashing the dam that she had been holding in from the moment she saw Kai.