Chapter 14

Emily's father was back in town meaning the family Thursday dinner tradition was back on. 

As she took a martini off the silver platter, Emily sighed. It was only three members tonight. Ben had a fever so Beth and Lance had stayed home. Lucky them, thought Emily.

Without the married couple there, the dinners took on a slightly bitter skew for Emily. Mary and her father cattily dissecting the latest gossip of the muckety mucks in their circle. Emily wasn't even sure what circle that was anymore.

After years of money troubles resulting in the loss of a lot of the high life they had once enjoyed, including her beloved lake house, her father was more of a hanger-on of coattails. Without money, his status depended on relying on the kindness of friends and family. Or sucking up to them.

"Oh father," Mary dolled out the last word. "You'll never guess who had dared to show his face after all these years."

Emily glared at Mary. She was not sure where this was going, but she had a good idea.

"Ooooh, my darling, do tell. Who has graced us with their presence?"

Emily's stomach rolled before Mary said his name and after. "Finn Wainwright."

Her father's lips protruded in confusion. "Do I know this Wainwright?"

Mary cackled. "Hardly. He was the stock boy at the Waterfront Bar."

Emily felt her nails dig into the palm of her hand. Of course, Mary would define Finn by his job. How he made money and how much he was worth financially was all Mary noticed.

Tilting his head in thought, her father continued his perplexed stance. Mary prodded, "The one in Bridgetown. The townie Emily had the hots for."

Her father shook his head. "Don't think I ever met him."

But Emily knew he had.

Emily was not sure Finn was having a good time

Emily was not sure Finn was having a good time. Inviting him over to spend the day lounging by the pool had seemed a good idea. But as soon as he entered the foyer something seemed off. His shoulders were hunched and he had an expression painted on his face like his shoes were too tight.

Hoping to make him more comfortable, Emily had invited Finn upstairs. Trying to convince herself a smaller setting would help him relax. Laughing at herself, Emily admitted she just could not wait to get her hands on him again. Or rather Finn's hands on her.

Sleep eluded Emily last night after returning home. Her mind and body were electrified by her evening with Finn. It had not been her intention to have sex with him, she was happy to simply spend time with Finn. It just felt right.

Actually, it felt fantastic. Dancing had seemed like a way to make up for Finn's lack of prom experience but the proximity of him, his hands on her waist ignited something in Emily she could not dampen. When Finn had cupped her breast with his perfect, manly hands, his long fingers squeezing Emily knew she had to have him.