16| By Your Side

Shit wasn't like the movies where they call you and they tell you right there and then if your spouse or family member survived or not in front of a crowded waiting room watching you react to the news, instead I was taken back to the chief of surg...

Shit wasn't like the movies where they call you and they tell you right there and then if your spouse or family member survived or not in front of a crowded waiting room watching you react to the news, instead I was taken back to the chief of surgeries office along with the support of my sister Samantha while my brother stayed with a distraught Kameron.

"Did she survive?" I swallowed the lump in my throat trying to read the doctors face, he folded his hands on the desk " Did my wife survive, stop sitting up here staring at me and tell me!"

"Nip" Samantha rubbed my back to calm me down, I hadn't slept or ate all day waiting on Kierra to come out of surgery.

"Yes, your wife survived" 

All the stress and tension left my body I covered my face to control my crying, I was grateful God gave me a second chance to have my wife.

"I brought you back to discuss the injuries Kierra sustained from the gunshot wound to her abdomen and upon your request we saved the bullet for ballistic testing"

If LAPD thought they could just set Kierra up over them being angry for protesting and standing up to them to protect her family they had another fucking thing coming.

The doctor stood up from his chair with X-ray slides putting them up on a light board turning it on, I tried reading it on my own but couldn't tell what part of her body it was.

"Your wife is a miracle case for me, when she was brought in we could tell by the amount of blood loss that she had to be like that for an hour and I don't know if you notice when you found her that she had placed duct tape over the wound to slow bleeding and potentially saving herself"

I looked up at the ceiling chuckling, that woman was a warrior and LAPD chose the wrong woman to fuck with because my wife was a force to be reckoned with.

"The bullet traveled through the abdomen hitting the left kidney which we had to remove but nothing to be worried about, the real injury was the bullet traveling to her spine"

"She can't walk?"

"Fortunately we were able to remove the bullet from her spine without truly damaging it, when Kierra wakes up she will be temporarily paralyzed from the waist down and will need extensive rehab to learn how to walk again"

Samantha bit her lip looking away, how could I tell a woman who spent most of her time running around working and on her feet that she couldn't do that for a while.

"How long would she not be able to walk?"

"Rehab ranges from six months to a year" I rubbed my face up and down trying to find the positive in all of this.

"Nip you have our support, whatever you need us to handle while she's in the hospital and you know I will take in Kameron for her in a heartbeat all you need to worry about is being with her and making sure she gets justice, your family will handle the rest"

"How long will she have to be here? and can I make a request for her not to be seen by the police until we figure this all out?"

When they found out they didn't kill her they would place a target on her to finish off the job and I would have this hospital secure with my security guards undercover until we put away whoever did this.

"Yes we can, if you don't have any further questions I can have you escorted to your wife"

"Yeah I wanna see her, she has a son is he allowed to come back and see her?"

"We don't allow children in the ICU she will be transferred in two days where he can see her"

I nodded following the doctor through the halls still in my bloodied clothes that I couldn't wait to get out of because every time I looked at it, the memory of finding Kierra haunted me.

"Now Kierra is intubated"

I frowned not understanding the medical term the doctor spoke about, Samantha leaned into me whispering.

"They have tubes down her throat to help her breath"

"Why does she need that?" I asked the doctor.

"Because she did have surgery she was administered anesthesia which could hold down your breathing, intubation helps her breath because her body needs oxygen to avoid her fainting and even getting brain damage while coming down from the anesthesia"

I read her name on the label outside the room we stopped in front of slightly smiling at my last name on the end of it, Samantha nudge me smiling.

"You really somebody husband" 

"How long will she be out of it?"

"24 hours tops, maybe sooner" The doctor opened the door letting us in, it was cold and dark but I could see my baby laid up on the bed with a tube down her throat and her hair all over the place.

"Sammy can you hook my wife up, she can't have people visiting her with her hair like that"

I joked because I was just happy to have her still here with me and Kameron, I walked up to her resting my hand on her hair pushing it back.

"Can she hear us?"

"Right now she's in a deep sleep and can't hear anything, if you need anything just hit the nurse button on the remote and we will assist you with whatever you need"

"Thank you for saving my wife Doc I appreciate it and you don't even know" I shook his hand and he smiled pointing at Kierra.

"Don't thank me, your wife did all the hard work I just helped a little"

He left Sammy and I alone in the room, I took a seat beside the bed just holding her hand, Sammy placed her hand on my shoulder.

"You need to eat, drink water, take a shower"

"I'm not leaving her by herself" 

"Good thing she won't be by herself when she has a sister in law that is gonna fix her hair up and make sure the nurses check in on her enough"

I was hesitant but I knew my sister was right I needed to eat and shower that way I could function better.

"Here take my keys and go shower, pops and Jroc got it handled at the store with an out of county detective'